View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Corporal

Snipey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ossetian War Scenario - Info + Help Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
The diffrence between captured & Allies.
If use Allies they use there own exp & morlae in other words fight as normal.
ID flag shows their country.
If use captured manned crewed by your troops so use your troops exp & morale.
ID flag shows HQ country.

Therefore using captured can use red on both sides if want without the game giving one side Civil War ID flag as they will show under HQs ID flag.
Ahh, perfect, thank you. So I could just use Czech and Ukrainian tanks as captured. I was wondering how to do that, now I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Sorry for double post but you mentioned in first post OOB
Quote:
Grand Total: 501 men, 145 units, 35 BTR-80 (I know it’s not 100% accurate, but it still gives a startlingly good perspective of what an unsupported Russian battalion looks like
Also surprised how well Green OOB matched..

My thoughts
First shows how games OOBs are pretty much right a lot of work goes into them.
For the Russians you could go with the standard setup I use if playing them.
In this case as BTR Companies

3X BTR Companies Page 2 about 8th from bottom.
1X BTR BTR Bn Support Company page 3 about 15th.
In fact you could use 3X BTR Co with MBT just below it to give each 4 tanks.
This is very close to your original & has the bonus of being set up already.
You lost 3 MGs & gained an ATGM & 3 Iglas
Gained RPG teams instead of snipers.
My view snipers the level you are talking = designated marksmen have standard rifles not sniper & you said COULD act independently.
Thats a lot of snipers even for an elite unit could allow a couple assuming Spetsnaz involved as think they were.

Easy purchase then in my view
3x BTR Co with MBT
If wish could remove RPG teams by assigning away but I would leave them.
1x BTR Bn Support Co, if you wish just delete the Iglas section.
Any spare tanks can be tacked onto this for command & control or if enough buy a tank co.
if you want a couple of snipers tac them onto Bn Support or change a RPG team in a couple of BTR Cos.
This pretty much gives what you are after for minimal work & C&C is setup all thats left I think is arty.
Buy a FOO (first unit after HQ best place or very last unit) which you have not mentioned.
If bought SPA Battalion bottom of page 2 you could spirit FOO vehicle away or change it to a second foot FOO if wanted.
Delete the formations it comes with & add the correct ones then assign C&C to him or your Support Co
Switch tank models if want.

Just produced what you want for minimal work less time than it took to write this pretty much straight out of the box with C&C sorted & minimal editor work.
All Russian units used in combat had Chechen War experience. The Russian Army adapts through warfare, thus the Russian Army heading into Ossetia to support the peacekeepers and civvies, was geared towards fighting infantry, and had weaponry to reflect that. This also explains Georgia's tank casualties. Out of a force of 180 tanks, Georgia lost about 95; 30 (give or take a few) to air strikes/Iskander/Tochka strikes, (with cluster munition warheads for the latter two) 21 destroyed by RPGs, AGSs and ATGMs, and 44 captured by outmanuevring and suppression fire. The "give or take a few" is due to Russian Air Force, that didn't track the casualties they inflicted, and the Georgians didn't report it either.

Even today, the Russian dug in, so it will be upto Georgia to again try to attack Abkhazia and/or South Ossetia, but I doubt they'll try it again. (BTW, in 2006, I said this war was going to happen.) Interestingly enough, parts of the Russian Intel that I read, indicated that Georgia was going to attack after the Olympics, or even on the last few days of the Olympics. So the Russian units trained, were hoping to watch the Olympics, but a war erupted instead. It also shows why the Russians were semi-prepared when the war began. But that could also have just been a rumor.

About the snipers - you're right, they should be marksmen, thank you for catching that. In fact they should be marksmen for both sides.

In terms of Bn Support, the Russians didn't have the luxury of having separate BTRs for the machine guns, as they were cramming their troops through the Roki Tunnel. Iglas also rode with infantry in this war.

(BTW I love how the forum just reduces my pics to perfect size, so I don't have to deal with the resize crap.)

As you can see, it has only two lanes. Only one could be used to move the army in, as another was kept open for emergenices, VDV, SpN, convoys of wounded coming back, etc. Additionally the road is small until it reachest the city of Java, Ossetia's temporary HQ for the Ossetian War. And it couldn't be blown up, as it was protected by the SpN and MIG fighters early on in the war. Could a plane bombing on August 7th have succeeded? It's hard to tell when the MIGs were up in the air and patrolling. From what I've read, Mercs tried to blow it up from the ground, and ran into SpN.

Tanks operated independently, and the Russians don't like to split their tanks and use them as infantry support, unless they have to.

FOO belongs with artillery units, and I will eventually introduce arty units into the ORBAT, as well as tank battalions. Since I am doing /10 they will be introduced as companies. Mortars were usually assigned by company commanders, and didn't use forward observers.

The Russians had 2 Arty BDEs (the 292nd of the 58th army and the 50th of the 42nd division) the 292nd having MSTA-S and the 50th having Akatsiya (2S3M1) and five Bns, one for each regiment, with 135th having MSTA-S and the rest having Akatsiyas. However not all of these fought.

Also arty isn't all that's left. There were also Scouting Bns, SpN, VDV....

Anyways, here's the weapon comparison: mobile Arty for Georgia: 12 Akatsiya, 24 Dana (Czech Design), 6 Pion, and 7 more in Tbilisi as reserves, consisting of Akatsiya, 3 Giantsit, 2 Dana and MSTA-S. (Tbilisi ones were not used in the Ossetian War.) The Russian Mobile Arty consisted of 47 MSTA-S (36 from the 292nd and 11 from the 135th) 86 Akatsiya (12 from each remaining RGMT, 12 from Ossetian OOB and 36 from the 50th). However out of these only 32 MSTA-S and 74 Akatsiya were used. The Ossetians also had 12 Gvozdikas.

For the towed arty, the Georgians had 90 D-30s and 11 MSTA-B. 72 D-30s (18 from each RGMT, -18 from the 5th) and 11 MSTA-B were used. The Russians had 38 D-30 and 3 M-30. However due to logistical constraints, (i.e. you want to move in mobile arty before towed arty) meaning that only 12 D-30s were used. All towed arty was towed by the MT-LB Tyagach.

In terms of the rocket arty, the Georgians had 16 Grad BM-21, 8 GradLar, 4 Orkan, 2 Uragan and 12 RM-70. However there was a technical problem with the Orkans, or they didn't arrive on time, or something, but they weren't used, until it was pointless to use them. The Russians had 38 BM-21 Grad, 4 BM-30 Smerch and 4 BM-27 Uragan. Out of these, the Russian used 30 BM-21, and 8 Smerch and Uragan.

Totals for Arty are: 163 for Georgia and 156 for Russia. Although AT-Arty was used, it did not make virtually any impact.