View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod: Spell Descriptions "Mod"

I am not sure why this is rising again but here is one of the threads I was asked for. [NECRO]

If anyone thought I was some master typist then I am sorry for that impression. The many text files in
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/
are mostly from requests people had for lists. And they were stripped directly from the dom3.exe by use of a command on linux called strings. The strings command will TRY to only list what it thinks MIGHT be words in an executable. Pros and Cons. The older style within dom3.exe may have drawbacks but has many readable lists in it. I can update these lists or extract new ones. Just ask.

The DASUP program is a great example of changing text in the game and was nice enough to make allowances for personal changes. BUT lessons were learned. The readme file that comes with it now carries this warning.
Quote:
IMPORTANT: Your description can only be of the same length or smaller than the original spell description in the dom3.exe file. You can look up the maximum number of characters allowed by opening exespellsdump.log, look for the size: value for the spell you want to change. If you make the description too long the program will automatically truncate it (and it will tell you in DASUP.log). The reason for this limitation is that the patch overwrites the descriptions that are already in the exe file. Because of the way programs work you cannot insert new stuff into the executable without ruining the program.
I cannot seem to find the thread which discussed everything prior to the creation of DASUP but I do remember mentioning one thing.
The program in this thread is a zip file download, which unpacks an executable, which when run will modify the Dominions 3 executable program permanently. With many people that would cause automatic trust concerns (and well it should). So further efforts along this line should be aware that within a the small niche group that we are, you will be catering to an even smaller niche group that would be willing to run such a program.

Other than that, luck be with you in any new projects.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)