Thread: Favorite Game?
View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2003, 09:27 PM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite Game?

I would not mind to pay a "normal" price of 50$ or so for a good TB space trader game.

I like hearing that! But one difference with me and with Shrapnel is that $50 isn't the normal starting point for new games, like many larger companies. We understand how the economy is in many places these days.

But joke aside, do you really think that my 2 suggestions do add that much programming effort to trader II?

It's not the programming effort really, it's the logistics I considered that made me not add them. If I do make another Trader though, it would have differing distances and random gas usage differences between planets though (a "map" of sorts). The Pirate percentage idea: well, the problem with that would be people would (mostly) just pick the lowest percentage, thus eliminating the pirates as a factor pretty much, which could affect the balance of the game. Perhaps adding a "most active pirate area/planet" report of some type may work though.

BTW: do you know the board game von AH: "merchant of venus"? this was also an excellent space trader game which did not make to the computer.

I've played it...excellent game. Board games heavily influence my own game designs (see: Domain Wars and Nanotech in the Thunder Pack).

PS: can you tell us something about your next project? At least give us some hint to puzzle?

Hmm...a little hint maybe. I think Shrapnel is interested in publishing it as well.

Think "Gladiators" with a hearty splash of the soccer sim Championship Manager.