View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The AI and Airstrikes - Tanks vs. Points

Thanks again Andy. I have played river-crossing scenarios (self designed) where my units were piled high on a long bridge and - sure enough - enemy jets pounded the bridge into rubble. In the process, ten or twleve vehicles were dumped into the drink! It was a very painful lesson learned. But thanks for the reminder and insights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
The other thing about strike air (Coin and fighter bomber - not the novelty types!) is that they really do like bridge hexes. Presumably fighter jocks are able to navigate to these (its original SSI code). So if you plot them onto a bridge hex they are reasonably certain to go there and drop a brick on it.

So - Strike air is rather nice for any AI or PBEM opponent traffic jams on bridges. On bridges, bigger bangs are better - go for the 2000lb option if you have them. 1000lb does well enough on wooden ones. On bridges, plot a path that will tend to fly along the bridge (and any approach road).

LGB plotted onto bridges, for those air farces with such a luxury to hand also seem to have the lesser drift if the target is a bridge hex. Saves having to deal with any pesky short range AAA but you do lose the carpet of umpteen iron bombs planted all along a multi-hex bridge and its approach roads of the lay-down attack.

As I say - that code came pre-baked in the original SSI formula, and so strike air's special little party trick seems to be bridge bashing.

Andy