View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Hell is For Heroes.

Quote:
AgentZero said:
As for the warfleet, that's fairly easily explained. You might have noticed no mention of any crew on any of the ships. That's because they were essentially drone ships, slaved to the Murder of Creation and under the fine control of their individual A.I.s The Murder was used as Komatsu's base of operations, the rest of the fleet was hibernating in the deepest reaches of null-space. Which is why one did not see them trundling around until Komatsu's plan was coming to fruition, at which point they became the answer to more than one, "What the hell was that?"

Now that I think about it, I did leave rather a lot out of the big ole ending exposition...
Well, that answers the question I did not ask... about how 15,000 warships were supporting themselves out there. But that doesn't answer the questions I did ask, about how you go about 'manipulating galactic events' from completely outside the political or social context of the times.

Suggestion for the revisions: The 'original' Alice could remember more things, fragments of the 'long exposition' that Admiral Alice had to deliver at the end, without completely spoiling the story. When they discover that the Taurans are back, for example, she could 'know' that the aliens operating the warships are not the 'real' Taurans. The final explanation could still be held to the absolute end, but this 'hint' makes it seem less like a 'gotcha' or cop out.