Thread: About Fields
View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About Fields

It doesn't really matter what crops are growing, if any; whether the field is tilled or stubble; or what season it is. For game purposes what matter are line(s) of sight (LOS), movement and defensive value (or liability) through (or in) the field--as for any other terrain. Unfortunately the manual doesn't tell you much about defensive value of terrain, but LOS and movement possibilities are easily determined (I assume you already know how to do that).

Pardon my interjection tokiedan but I hope this project isn't being sidetracked by "the 'beauty' of the english language" (H/T to scorpio rocks). A direct translation of the whole manual into Japanese risks getting bogged down in a "swamp" of confused meanings and unnecessary complexity. That can be a distraction from the main point, which is TO PLAY STEEL PANTHERS (my apologies for shouting).

Most beginners don't read the entire manual before trying the game; they usually start with the tutorial scenario and fill in their knowledge gaps as they continue playing. May I respectfully suggest that the section "Playing WinSPWW2-Tutorial" have priority of translation so Japanese beginners get a quick "taste" of the game even as they learn? (According to your posts it seems this section hasn't been translated yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.)

The tutorial is the simplest way to start playing Steel Panthers, without the need to purchase or deploy units. There's also a list of other ready-made scenarios suitable for beginners in the Tutorial Introduction. After students have familiarized themselves with the basics of gameplay then it will be more feasible to move on to greater complexity like generated battles, cross-attachment of units, and so on.

Sorry if my unsolicited advice is "out of order" or inappropriate. I'm very enthusiastic about your project and wish you all success, regardless of how you choose to do it. Thanks for reading and have a great day. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post: