View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Team Placement, Gandalf's Wizardry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by melnorjr View Post
My apologies for the delay on the startlocations - I just pmed them to septimius.

I would like to note however, that there might be some issues with them, as one team has two instances of two of their capitols with only one intervening province, and one player has a start with 4 connecting provinces, one of them a swamp, and another player has 7 connecting provinces.(I was given what provinces to place people in, and used a random number generator to determine which team was where, so if your starting province seems unbalanced in some way, it wasn't me. )
This is from a post on page 35. Septimius then said that start positions had been known for over a month and no one had complained. We all definitely did have time to bring it up, but none of us did so it was really just a matter of chance who would end up in the horrible, horrible position you poor folks did. We really should have attempted to address the issue... it is going to be a bit of a pain for your team to deal with, especially if any of you with adjacent provinces need lots of resources for your capitol. My sympathies to you and your team.
Yes, no one said much of anything for the longest time, I did those start locations (and provided 2 options as well) quick and dirty way back when, doing the best I could but trying to keep things so that the comp would be in the center and the teams arranged as closely to toward the cardinal directions as I could. Lets work with what we've got people. Next time, please review all potential start locations, and speak up promptly if you don't like them. Algae was the only one who said anything early on, and I revised them when he did. DO NOT wait a month or longer. DO NOT wait till the game is started.

In the east, the provinces are larger, again random map stuff. I wouldn't say it is a horrible, horrible position, rdonj. In the two cases where this may be an issue, the shared neighboring province can be awarded to the player with the fewest neighbors including the province in question. For instance, if one player has four neighbors and the other has 5 neighbors (including the one in question), the territory should go to the player with only 4 neighbors. I'm sure everyone will be fine. Other than the relative experience level of the Blessed's no sympathies are needed.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; November 2nd, 2009 at 03:08 PM..