View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SEV Models in Starfury?

Quote by Fizar:

No I meant for like Beam weapons. If I set the ship's top speed past 1.5, and I start a fight at that speed, the beam starts behind my ship, or in the middle of my ship (depending on size of the ship) instead of at my firing points on the front of the ship. When I slow down, it works fine and looks perfect. Tested with only 1 weapon on each ship, so that I was dealing with one firing point at a time.

The second issue, was only tested with SEV ships, and not SF ships yet (although I will test it when I get home from work, to see if it's something to do with the SEV models). If I take a large ship, say a carrier, that I think would look nice as a fighter, so I shrink it down from carrier size to fighter size. The collision border is still carrier size. So As I wooosh past a planet that is clearly not even close to touching my ship, I explode.

End quote by Fizar

Hmm on your first issue I usually don't change the beam speed just the torpedo and bolt speeds sometimes. My fastest ship is probably 1.7 and I didn't notice any problems with beams on my ship. Try and set the wep firing points to 0,0,0 (x,y,z) and see if this happens when at top speed. You could always experiment around and make a special beam component for that ship then create a new bitmapeffects for that weapon and increase the beam speed. I haven't tried increasing the beam speed yet or had the need to.

There is a good tutorial for SF for slots and firing points. Check out http://koti.mbnet.fi/sfhaven/tutorial1.php This is how I learned about slots and firing points and such.

Hmm with your second issue. I am not sure. I have taken a dreadnought ship from SEV and reduced the scale and gave new textures to make it a fighter and I had no trouble. As Campeador mentioned try reducing the base model radius in spaceobjectsXfiles.

Do you have LithUnrap? If you want to use anim8or you will have to convert an xfile to obj or 3ds to import it into anim8or. On ships that I really care about I can set weapons to fire from any point on the ship. If It's a minor race ship I usually don't bother and just set points to 0,0,0. Just read through the tutorial and at the Starfuryhaven I listed above. It took me a few trys to get it figured out myself. Now I can make firing points and engine glows in just minutes.

There is so much to learn when modding and I am continually learning new stuff along the way. Many thanks to Campeador and Suicide Junkie for their hard work and SF tools to make SF modding attainable.