View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2023, 04:08 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about Ukraine OOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
The one thing I would add to the OOB is the large partisan and irregular forces on both sides, if you have to add anything to the OOB it would be the irregular forces first.
They are really only of use in scenarios and they can easily be created by the scenario designer from existing units in either the main two OOB's or the Red or Green OOB. Both Red and Green have "rebel" formations that can be used for that renamed
Got it. I agree that the OOBs should just contain tanks and primary combat forces, I'm just saying that if someone insists on there being "not enough units" then you can just tell them that.

The real case where this would be an issue is if America goes to war with Mexico like Republicans are asking. Huge variety of technicals and nonstandard equipment. How would you model a Mexican cartel? It's not even a green OOB, it would be more like a Somalia or Mujahideen OOB.

Point is there needs to be a threshold of how many units something has for it to be included in an OOB, adding things that aren't yet operationally capable like Ukraine APCs is stretching it.

The Sherman E8 is a technical. Already in SP1 the units were vaguely defined. Jumbo Sherman's were built one off when the factory decided to add armor to a tank, it's not a specific model.

Likewise Ukraine apparently has a upgraded Bradley that takes 122mm hits. This kind or stuff has to be decided case by case and its best to just leave the OOB as it is which is already very generous and just say you only include MBTs and important vehicles.

And if someone decides to build a Mexican drug war scenario or other irregular conflicts I don't think the OOB should be changed, the game already has enough units that can represent whatever there is going to be. If any OOB is missing anything it's going to be partisan infantry and stuff that isn't supposed to be there, all the important equipment is already there, actually too much of it.