View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2017, 05:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British Special Forces small arms 2017

There is a multi part documentary on YouTube about training future RN officers at Dartmouth (that I watched because my son is going there). These days the Royal Navy has a fair number of female officers (and ratings). It is called something like 'making an RN officer'.

During some of their training they do some Army type stuff on land, assault courses, PT, cross country marching, solving set problems in the field, etc. (although nothing very difficult by even average British Army infantry standards) They also do simulated ship damage control in flooding chambers, etc.

Now this being a modern TV show it goes out of its way to show the women officer trainees in a good light, but even so it is very plain that the women are all struggling with the more physically demanding stuff (and as I said most of it is not all that demanding by infantry standards) some of them really badly, despite the fact that the training staff are really going out of their way to help them. In the damage control stuff, battling against high pressure water that just keeps getting deeper, they were all next to entirely useless, with tears, etc. Frankly any damaged warship they are aboard that relies on them to save her will bloody well sink...

Last edited by IronDuke99; January 19th, 2017 at 05:25 PM..