View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default M10, Wolverine, Achilles Self-Propelled Guns

If I could recommend two small changes to the British OOB:

1. Change the name of the Tank Destroyer M10 (unit 187) to ‘Wolverine’ or ‘Wolverine M10’ or ‘3in SP Wolverine’.

2. The Achilles (units 44,155, 223) supposedly had additional armour added, during the conversion from M10 (3in gun) to Achilles with 17Pdr.

US names
M10 3in GMC (Gun Motor Carriage) I/II, was the USA designation for this ‘Tank Destroyer’ with M7 gun.

British names
‘Wolverine’, was the British name for the above unconverted M10’s in British service, but Achilles I/II was the official British name for unconverted M10’s, aka. 3in SP Wolverine.

Achilles Ic/IIc, was the British name for M10’s converted to 17Pdr gun. aka. 17Pdr SP Achilles.

Armour

The only other change carried out on the Achilles was the addition of 17 mm thick armour plates welded to the front and sides of the M10 to increase armour protection, as well as a 20 mm thick shield fitted to the top of the turret to provide protection from overhead threats that resulted from the M10 having an open top turret.

Source:
http://anonymous-generaltopics.blogs...abel/Wolverine

Apparantly, 1,100 of the 1,648 M10's, that Britian got from the US, were eventually converted to 17Pdr Achilles.

The above quote makes it sound like the additional armour was part of the standard conversion process. But I've not seen this before, so I guess it's possible that not all 1,100 were up-armoured; perhaps only some. Anyone know?

Cross

---

Last edited by Cross; October 8th, 2009 at 02:31 PM..