View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official release of the unofficial Dominions 3 Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcat View Post
A small bug: All capital-only units and commanders are not listed in the "Units" section of nation description page...
Not a bug, but WAD. Those units are being granted via the national sites, they're not normal recruitables. The site data isn't in yet. DrPraetorius did start adding information about capital-only units by hand, but only for some of the nations in the Early Age, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
By any chance did you create an import from Edi's spreadsheets for up-to-date core pages on some of these areas? The reason I ask is that if you ended up with a script to export the different sections to text files as a half-way point I could sure make use of that.
No, I did not use Edi's spreadsheets, in fact it was the other way around, I sent my findings to Edi so that he could update the data in those spreadsheets. Edi did help with recognizing and naming some unit abilities, though. I am reading the data from the game executable so that it will always be up-to-date with the upcoming patches. The downside is that first I have to find it and understand it, and rediscover the formulas that are being used in the game. One reason why the "real" prot and enc values aren't in there yet, they depend on the armor worn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
The reason I ask is that if you ended up with a script to export the different sections to text files as a half-way point I could sure make use of that.
I can send you my text exports, if you want. The script that I am using is a gigantic mashup of Python code and you have to change the code by hand in order to make it generate the different text files. You'd have to learn Python in order to make use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector24 View Post
I noticed that you already have the Jotunheim guide but if you'd like to use my magic path booster guide too, go for it. I'm not really sure where something like that would go though.
You can start working on it in your personal space, at User:Sector24/Magic_Path_booster_guide for example. The article can then be moved or linked to wherever it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector24 View Post
I spent a good hour or two on the site today at work. Two unit entries I noticed were all messed up.
Thanks for the work, that's encouraging. I don't have much time for working on the Wiki anymore and intend to mostly work on the technical stuff, if at all, not on the content anymore. I wish I'd have time to train more people about editing Wikitext - it's not hard to do! - or start a tutorial about it.

I'll delete the stale unit articles, they're indeed leftovers from previous patch versions.

I am indeed even visiting the SMW Camp 2009 this weekend in order to find out how to make the Wiki better in regards to the use of Semantic MediaWiki, in fact. Let's see if that leads to some nice changes.
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; November 5th, 2009 at 04:36 PM..