View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2013, 02:33 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artaud View Post
I am having a devil of a time trying to run MBT on out laptop. We have a Dell Inspiron with 4G of memory. It is a Win 7 machine. No dedicated graphics card.

I have the CD version of MBT as well as WW2. Both are installed according to the path described earlier in this thread. MBT is patched up to the "13th March 2013" version. When I double click the desktop icon the opening screen appears. Using that screen I set the game to run in "Windowed/Desktop" mode. My desktop resolution is 1366 x 768. But when I click 'play' the game will not launch. Nothing happens. WW2 will not run either.

I was experimenting with different settings, and at one point was able to get MBT to run, but the screen was elongated and impossible to read.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.
And that is precisely the brand of laptop I have, in Win 7 with that size of screen. Both games work perfectly OK in all resolutions that it supports - though as a wide-screen, I tend to stick to "desktop" resolution in both windowed and full-screen modes.

1366 wide screens needed a little bit of jiggling with the pixel size that is used by the graphics engine way back - they are not divisible properly by the appropriate multiple of pixels that WinVFX expects and so had to be shaved by 2 pixels I think it was.

The normal error if you are trying to drive the graphics card at a resolution it does not support is the "Unable to initialise directX" message box. Is that what you are getting?.

The elongated screen is a partial failure, with a mode that almost worked, but not quite. (The pixel adjustment for 1366 mode wide-screens cured precisely that).

Also - have you applied all the patches in sequential order and ensured that they are pointed at the same path? That is a necessity for Windows vista and seven as if you use the "program files" path then it tends to install patches to your user profile and not where they should have gone. (I would have a look in your user profile for any game files being placed there). The skewed screen suggests to me that you haven't got the patch that fixes that properly applied, to me.

- does the work in windowed mode in 800x600, 1024x768 etc?. If not then something is surely wrong.

Cheers
Andy