Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2018, 10:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Unintended PART II...

Well I'll take some responsibility for not having suggested a new date myself, however, I needed more data which didn't become available until after mine and CINCLANTHOME had to get and take over the planning of my last boats 25th Ann.

A brief I promise, history...I can't even remember when I first submitted a change to this tank (I don't believe I submitted it w/o checking hard copies.) in the very beginning. This MBT (And OOB which Don and I worked on together last year or year before and fixed-we hope.) along with a couple of others have been a real PITA!! Once the Germans and Austria (Engines) got involved after the South Koreas stepped seemed to have a good relationship with Turkey. They experienced some technical (All) as well as financial issues (Turkey) which I believe caused the first date change. The second and third were caused by Germany first, then Austria next to pull out due to human rights issues and the purge after the attempted coup. Germany was thinking about getting back in the game but backed off after Turkey invaded part of Syria and started operations of a limited scale against the Kurds.

The real "Big Hurt" was two fold Austria not supplying the engine and the Government pressing OAKAR to come off the coat per unit for the ALTAY. This was difficult for OAKAR to do as they developed the tank and bore the cost to do so.

The result has been an almost two year delay in rebidding the contract between three of Turkeys largest defense contractors to build it and develop a home grown 1500hp they've never attempted before. The contract issues have just been completed this summer I believe in June.

To one extent or another this is all covered in my refs. below and selected posts I'm supplying. To be sure, there are many more Posts before those selected concerning the ALTAY (May it, the ARJUN and ARMATA "RIP" someday!)

The date submitted is from the time frame of the original contract
as will be shown in quotations below.

Based on the information I'm submitting I don't see that MBT in service until JUN 2021. Most of the operational testing regarding the engine and most importantly the ability of it to act as a functioning Power Pack is out the window. The prototypes are all using the Austrian and German Power Packs-they now and they can't legally copy them (Germany and Austria have not given licensing to do so.) and if they do copy them you can forget seeing them in this game as they just might be tied up in court that long.

And finally if my date is wrong and it's sooner than later, well, good for the game and won't it be nice to change a date to the left for a change!?! Glass half full kind've guy really!?!

POSTS See TURKEY: #783 FEB 20th and #792 MAR 12th 2018.

And...
http://www.armyrecognition.com/april...ttle_tank.html

"Previously, in the 2017-2021 Strategic Plan published by the SSM, the primary date for the first Altay Main Battle Tank entering service was set for 2020. According to the plan, the first 15 tanks will be put into service in 2020, while 20 tanks will be delivered in 2021."

http://www.armyrecognition.com/may_2...nked_soon.html

"According to Turkish defense industry sources, the mass production of the Altay MBT could started in late 2019 or early 2020." The rest of para 2 reads as the above quote does.

Didn't want to get "out of order" but felt I had to as much of my time as well as Don's has gone into all things Turkey!!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: