View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:43 PM

Private

RadiantFleet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Epic Single Player

Actually, I find it reasonablly suited to epic games. The five order limit has to do IMO with no battle plan surviving contact with the enemy than anything else. It would be nice to have a "repeat " command for battle orders, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Interestingly, I feel the same way. I hate meeting another player too soon, were is the fun in that! Playing against a lot of impossible AI's does force you to learn how to be agressive early in the game, but I find with 16 impossible AI's that you can knock off a couple and still get a good game. The game I'm currently playing I have 4 super combatants with 10 in all paths (I use wish to jumpstart may key commanders), running around with 500+ strong summoned criters (like summer lions or vastness's). The main AI contenders have 500+ strong unit armies running around, so you get some interesting battles (though the replays can get tedious!).

Quote:
Originally posted by Darryl:
I tend to like epic games as well. I tend to like single player, and don't seem to be like a lot of people. Most I've heard talk about single player seem to like small maps with everyone crammed in. Like a few factions vying for control of an area. I tend to prefer having a "developed nation" going to war with another "developed nation" and having various powers at my disposal.

When I first started playing, my comment was continually "What? Another nation so soon? But it's only turn 3!!" By turn 10 I had 3 or more nations visible. Hated that.

I don't see how much of the magic can be used unless the game is epic. I recently finished a game with Marginon playing on the Aran map against TWO AI's (hey, I'm still learning...). Even when things were under control I still couldn't get to level 9 magic, or 8 for that matter. I ended up winning on Dominion automatically a few turns after pulling my army out of Pangaea! (they only had a few provinces left)

It doesn't seem like the game is geared for epic battles though. Having a limit of 5 rounds of orders for a battle between thousands of troops seems like it's geared toward smaller skirmishes.

Darryl