View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2020, 02:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Turn 0 Artillery Bombardments

John,
Hopefully you won't mind too much that I copied your points from the last post.
1) When it comes to artillery the AI is at a big disadvantage to.

I have to mostly agree to this statement. That being said, it loves to buy it and uses it well. It's just not as patient as I am, so counter battery is a disadvantage for the AI also. But it can and will given the opportunity. The "0" turn issue I've noticed seems to still happen but, to some extent not as much as I remember. This could be driven by the particular battle, I'm not sure. But if the AI has "spotters" out there, or your just holding up progress in it's advance, then you better "standby for incoming", I've learned the hard way that if you're stalemated on the field and decide to "slug it out" you might be toast. Now I just get my armor out of the way if possible as long as my troops are "dug in".

2. It cannot use gold spots.

Therefore neither do I. My feeling is simply this, I choose to only play against the AI for many reasons the most important being my personal time. So knowing well my advantages over the AI, what fun or challenges would that leave for me to enjoy and play this game if I used all my advantages against the AI? I mean really, what would be the point of playing the game under those conditions?

My answer is I would've walked away from the game years ago.

Save that stuff when playing a real player as you'll both be on an "equal footing", the AI is my "other player" and that's how I treat it, though I prefer to say opponent.

3) It does not cancel fire missions when it knows target is gone or its very very rare. Refer to Johns (Imp) Post #7.

I cannot disagree with this statement but as I said above it will react to your presence if in contact or spotted, if the AI doesn't think you should be there. It will shift fire missions fairly quickly in response to what it sees going on the battlefield. The AI does value the use of Fwd. Observers all the time in my experience.

4) It cannot use ammo resupply so that first turn salvo means less ammo later.

I don't see this all the time. But when it comes to speaking about artillery, I stopped using the on map stuff years ago as a matter of routine and only rarely now. I've found the AI is very effective in targeting your on map assets once spotted. You can't just "shoot 'n scoot" because you'll blow your fire missions so at some point you'll just have to stick around or otherwise you're just wasting your time. My RL brain would have buy those units with their RL ammo units, so again for on map artillery, I just chose not to.

Maybe some "radical thinking" there but, I like to think of it as "leveling the playing field".

Truth be told, I do buy ammo resupply for my armor but, I have seen things...Never mind "Blade Runner" again , but bad things happen when the AI sees them. It prioritizes them, blows them up, which can damage your light armor if to close, suppress your heavy armor, wipe out whole platoons (OK rarely.) but certainly you'll lose troops and they'll be routed. Oh yeah, you're losing points the whole time that's happening.

I'm thinking that "whatever" the AI fired at your ammo unit was well worth it, for some or all I just noted above. I find the AI might not be as "dumb" as some think after all!?!

Edited: For some minor wording/spelling errors and to expand my response to item 3 above.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; July 10th, 2020 at 11:22 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: