View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDuke99 View Post
I was reading a article today that says HMS Queen Elizabeth will get some Helicopters aboard later this year and the first F-35B late in 2018, although I still don't think she will be fully operational, barring a national emergency, much before 2020...
Yes, I too recall a report the HMS QE class carriers won't be F-35B suitable until sometime beyond 2020. Something to do with a retrofit of her decks. Until then, she will carry helos.

=====
Nope, I believe her decks are already coated with the stuff to take the heat from the F-35B engines, etc. It is just that the aircraft are not really ready for ops and UK does not have many yet (a fairly sensible choice, given that current F-35's are nothing like fully up to specs, etc, and buying more now just means they will need expensive upgrading down the track).

As I said, QE will not be operational, with helos, or anything else, for some time. I have heard some talk of her being in 'limited operations' as of C.2019, but frankly, short of a big national emergency, she is not going to be operational until about 2021.