Thread: Scenario WW3: Dutch interception
View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WW3: Dutch interception

First 10 turns:

Turns 1-5. The biggest dilemma is what to do with the Patriots. I finally decide to keep them on map for a bit, knock out an aircraft or two (hopefully) and retreat off map. The first Russian units appear before a recon screen deployed near the woods south of the settlement of Jamel, as well as the road south of the woods. I count 7 T72B3s and two companies worth of BMP-3s. My ATGMs knock out 4 BTRs and 2 BMP-3s, but tank and auto cannon fire knock out one AT team. My 120mm mortars start shelling the Russian formations as well, causing disruption. After the complete their fire mission, I will displace them as I decide to do more shoot and scoot this time.
In Jamel (which is defended by a single recon platoon) my scouts knock out 2 BMP-3s, but lose 2 Fenneks and a third one is immobilized (soon to be knocked out). I try to pull away one scout team, I lose one and the remaining two are in very difficult situation.
North to that, Russians also advance against Hokendorf. My recon screen proves unable to slow down the advance of the leading tanks (6 spotted) as their active protection and ERA saves them from Spike strikes. I lose a Spike team and 1 Fennek and pull back whoever I can.
The first reinforcements arrive, two companies of mechanized infantry in the southern flank at Nachsendorf. My plan is to send one of them forward (the 1/17th company) to try to flank the Russians and hopefully seize Gresow. I keep the other company in reserve near their assembly point.
Finally, the recon reserve at the left of the map is sent towards Hokendorf, with the aim of supporting the defenders there.

Estimated points lost: 1022 going relatively well, but the Russians are hardly scratched yet (I estimate at least 2214 points lost though)

Turns 6-10
Russian attack on the south seems to split. A detachment tries to seize the southern road, while most of the forces dash towards Jamel and I assume that they will go towards Barendorf afterwards. Jamel is lost anyway, with just two scout teams remaining and one Fennek. The southern detachment is ambushed by a Rifle Squad, losing 2 BMP-3s and 2 T-72s. Meanwhile, about 800 meters from Barendorf, two ATGM teams waste all their ammo on one T72 to no effect (geez, not a single top hit from a top attack ATGM!) Also, 2/17th company is also tasked with reinforcing Barendorf but they are further than the Russians (although with faster vehicles).
Against Hokendorf, Russians also advance more slowly, but with no casualties. I decide to use my airstrikes against their armor. The airstrikes prove devastating, destroying 2 T72s and 5 BMP-3s and an unknown number of infantry. Despite this, the Russian advance, reaching the small village.
2/17th, which as I’ve mentioned before as rushing towards Barendorf, encounters a lone BRDM-3 south of its objective, which destroys an APC and the rifle squad it carries. I dismount a rifle squad and 2 Spike ATGMs to deal with it, and I see that the Russians have also sent 3 T72s and BMP-3s, probably from the recently occupied Jamel. The Spikes destroy the BRDM and I decide to delay the other elements with the forces I deployed, while the rest of the company will move towards its objective using the woods as cover.
1/42nd rifle company deploys to Waldeck. This is a second line town, but I feel the need to leave a garrison there.
2/42nd rifle company is sent to the north to set up a defensive line north of Dreilinden (a town housing the Brigade HQ).
1/17th Infantry continues to move towards the Russian right flank. The Bushmaster vehicles that act as scouts come under fire from a T-72. The path to the objective is guarded, so I decide to put the amphibious capabilities of my vehicles to the test and continue via Tressower See. I deploy the scouts and a couple of ATGMs to overwatch the crossing and I spot 1 OSA-AKM (they fired on my aircraft and my Chinooks before to no effect). This is a sweet target that I’ll hit in the next turn.
Finally, the first Russian helos appear and receive a barrage of my deployed Patriots. One Hind is shot down, while the other retreats off map. My luck vs. helos continues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: