Thread: Snowdrifts
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:32 AM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snowdrifts

I personally like many of the convenient features added in the game. In my opinion they add a lot to the gameplay.

But i suppose this one would be too much as this seems to create surprising amount of opposition.

It is always possible to make a house rule that forbids snow maps entirely as this problem only occurs on them.

I would add a map file in here of the map we have been playing. Otherwise i like the map a lot, but there are a lot of single snowdrift hexes that make the movement on the map really taxing, as it might take more than 15-20 minutes extra in every turns just to move vehicles one hex at the time. This is extremely frustrating when there are lots of vehicles on the map.

Last game this feature would have saved a lot from the gameplay experience as my opponents advance was halted by a sudden snowdrifts he did not spot and in this game i have had at least one unit immobiled by snowdrifts in every single turn.

This is even more frustrating because this forces you to move all your vehicles by one hex at a time and always check their surroundings compred to a gameplay where you would just move them normally and the game would ask about entering them. Do this 40-50 times in a turn and you might see why i am suggesting this. It would still be an option to click yes if you did not spot the drifts, if that is the feeling the player wants but -> it would give the opponent the possibility to click no, which seems to take away from some of the player's gameplay.

One option would be to edit the map of course, and take those away, but they add to gameplay also being there and it kind of is part of the map.

How can i add a map file here ?

I could share the map. Seems strange that the file type is not supported by this forum. (There is another thing i suggest to change, to be able to share maps in here so everyone could enjoy them.)

Seems a .zip file is supported. I will add the map as a .zip file and i am curious what other people think about this map.

We have been playing it so that the victory hexes are positioned in the middle of the map and there are clearly 4 "areas" to form 4 different fronts. The upper part of the map, the "lake city" part of the map, "the road" part of the map which is concidered to be the main target and the lower part of the map and in the lower part there is the canyon.

This map have some legendary value in our games as it is an old custom made map by my opponent and we have played many games in this map. It was originally designed to happen in Finland, where we live. We usually play Finland vs Russia or Finland vs Sweden as a fictional battle. The ongoing game is between Germany and Russia and it is the first Ww2 game in that map as we want to see how it works out in Ww2. The map have been designed to be played with MBT.

That map is an extremely tricky one and in my opinion, the most complex map i have ever played in Steel Panthers.

For some reason i get more easily frustrated about these kind of things, in the past it seemed not to matter that much and for some reason, not to happen so often. Probably because our games were more straightforward as we mostly ride the roads and nowdays try to sneak on the opponent.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spmap430.zip (219.9 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by Isto; May 23rd, 2019 at 05:56 AM..