Thread: Mod Pax Malazica.
View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pax Malazica.

And now, for the things at hand.

I have a first-draft unit list that looks as follows - do you find anything missing? Is there a hole the nation needs to have filled, or is there something from the original work you find should be here, but isn't?

Commanders:

Fist (40 leadership, slightly better stats and equipment than a commander at the same cost)

High Fist (160 leadership, a 10-point standard ability. Otherwise identical to Fist, except being quite expensive and capital only.)

Wickan Commander (A horse-commander, with a javelin attack and a lance. Basically a light cavalry commander, but with slighty different equipment and better attack/defense statistics.)

Priest (Your average priest, but with a small chance of a random magic path - can get any non-blood path, but is not to be relied upon. Represents the fact that priests in the original work seem to have some magely power, most of the time, and somewhat makes up for the abysmal priests and lack of sacreds.)

Cadre Mage (Cheap mage with S1 and 100% 1?FWAE)

Capital-only High Mages of four different paths - Telas, Ruse, Serc and Tennes. Not old, these have 2 in their main path, 1 in astral and a random pick from three paths, with a 33% chance to end up as a third point in their main path. Currently costed at 320/1)

Claw (An elite assassin-mage! These have a dagger and a light crossbow, and a solid chunk of mage presence - 2S1A, as it stands. Otherwise identical to the plain-old assassins.)

Marine Sergeant (Just like the Marine troop below, except with a leadership score of 10 and somewhat better morale - these exist to lead the sneaky marines around.)

Moving down to troops, we find:

Rather generic medium and heavy infantry, both with good defense and a shortsword/shield combination for arms. Slightly better morale than their counterparts, though.

No archers!

Malazan Marines (Elite infantry armed with shortsword and a solid crossbow, these troops are stealthy and handy when raiding, having a map-move of 2 and forest survival.)

Wickan Horseman (See their commander above. While I've still to see if it's possible to accomplish in a reasonable manner, I'd like these to each summon a free cattle dog at the start of battle, giving them some added value in the shape of producing disposable arrow-magnets.)

And, finally and (perhaps) obviously...

Sappers. Not very fast, not very strong, with very questionable morale and no magic resistance to speak of, they each have two area-of-effect munitions to throw - a near-miss will wipe out most regular troops, regardless of armor. Also come with a hefty siege bonus, and can sneak around alongside the marines.

There will be a grand total of one new pretender: Empress Laseen herself, something as unusual as an assassin-pretender. (Not that you can't buy her some solid magic picks, of course.)

Heroes more or less pick themselves. Two adjuncts, one High Mage, the Clawmaster, the head of the Chain of Dogs, and to round things out, a one-eyed archer.

So, after that rather lengthy post, what I ask is - am I missing anyone or any unit type that should be there? Is someone or something there who shouldn't be? Is something I'm describing impossible to accomplish? Do you have any other comments?