Thread: Nag ATGM
View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:06 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Nag ATGM

This from BROADSWORD as dated (Covers tests from 2006 to date of the article)...
"Saturday, 8 March 2008
Nag missile test: 2006

This test was conducted at the Pokhran Field Firing Ranges in Rajasthan. The tank target was placed at a range of 2500 metres. The Nag has, in other tests, successfully engaged targets at 4 kilometers and above.

For those who need reminding, the Nag is a Generation 3+ (the DRDO says Generation 4) fire-and-forget missile, which is being developed by the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad. It is one of the five missiles being developed by India's Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) as a part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). When the Nag is accepted into service by the army, the IGMDP will be formally closed.

The missile automatically conducts a top attack at ranges below 1300 metres. It has a tandem warhead that will defeat any Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) in service today. The warhead has been developed by ARDE, Pune and HEMRL, Pune.

The Nag performed well during the summer trials in June 2007, which were conducted through the BMP-based NAMICA (Nag Missile Carrier). That is the vehicle in the video. Some glitches remained to be sorted out after the June 2007 trials. The army has asked for a higher level of ruggedisation (after one missile failed) and has also asked DRDL to improve user-friendliness: the display on the screens, fire controls and reduced reaction and aiming times.

The DRDL says it is confident that the summer trials in 2008 will validate all the technologies in the Nag. So far, one of the problem areas was in the missile's Imaging Infra-red Seeker, which homes it onto the target. That problem has been bypassed by importing the Focal Plane Sensor in the seeker from SOFRADIR in France.

Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) will be the prime contractor for construction of the missile. The production strategy involved getting even the development missiles manufactured by BDL.

The army has also asked for a helicopter borne version of the Nag, the HELINA (Helicopter Launched Nag) with a range of 7.5 km. That is slated to be fitted in the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), which is being developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Bangalore."

I've had to resort to Indian military blogs mostly (Sorry) but here's my conclusions...

1. I could only find one reference to NAG being "Jeep" mounted and it referred to early tests of the system using a three tubed launcher.

2. It appears it was never adopted for a "jeep" due to the weight of the system and inability to support more advanced sighting systems intended for the NAG as it developed.

3. A key factor it seems for the Indian Army in using the RAKSHAK (JEEP variant.) and JONDA (Land Rover variant.) is they seem not only to use them as launcher but to also give them a man-portable option similar to a weapons carrier.

4. The above use either a FLAME G launcher or the more advanced FLAME V launcher mounted on the above (3.) mentioned platforms. The primary difference between the launchers is simply that the FLAME V can fire the two highlighted missiles from 5. below.

5. The missiles those platforms are most associated with are MILAN/MILAN 2T and KONKUR-M ATGW. A note about the MILAN 2T is that it's not a true tandem warhead with back to back charges for the penetraters. It has smaller charge mounted at the back of the penetrater to give it that extra "push" against ERA/armor. Still apparently effective "This missile penetrates 880 mm of rolled homogenous armor behind ERA." from below ref. India license makes this version now.
http://www.military-today.com/missiles/milan.htm

6. Delete the NAG "Jeep". And I believe the NAMICA will need to be deferred to a later date around 2018/2019 time-frame because there's a reason this is a 3rd GEN missile and this shouldn't shock anyone after I disclosed in submitting the ARJUN that it took 30yrs to develop, and this missile also had many issues in development.

By way of example, in testing under night and cool conditions depending on what part of the country it's been tested in (They are pretty good overall in doing this with new equipment due to the extremes in climate based on geography of the country.) the missile could hit the target out to 4,000m no problem. However didn't do so good in hotter climates, the IR sensor was so sensitive it would "attack" a hotter background source like sand reflected from the Sun, instead of the target. Daytime ops were limited to I believe it was 1300/or 1500m effective range.

7. I can't find any creditable evidence to support the fact that the NAG has served in any active role in the Indian Army until it's fielded as noted in 6. above. The refs. below supports this conclusion as well.
http://www.military-today.com/missiles/nag.htm
http://www.army-technology.com/proje...uided-missile/

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: