Old April 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Don't Feel Sorry For The AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Ketch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I'm basically trying to start off with a core, in terms of number of units, which I will keep throughout the entire war, so that way I get more units experienced quicker.
My experience has been that the more units you have the slower they get experience.

Now I openly acknowledge that I do not know all the ways that units can get experience and so could be completely off. An example. There are three enemy units and the potential expereinced that can be gained by defeating them is 100 points. If I attack each unit with three of my own, then that 100 points gets spilt between 9 units, where as if I use the same three units to defeat all three of them, it will boost them up higher quicker. I realize that if you face an enemy that outnumbers yours, this logic doesn't apply nearly as much because ALL of you units will be wading through troops and gaining experience.

I also realize that if you put all your eggs in one basket, or exp into one platoon, a well placed artillary barrage will destory all your work. So I believe I can understand what you're looking to accomplish. A experienced but not intirely unexpendable force. You mentioned cutting back in France, do you indent to delete your losest experienced units?

Back on topic - I never feel sorry for the AI. Don and Andy have created a very good warmind that I only have the upmost respect for. As I get better I may end up beating it more often and easier, but I hope I never underestimate it.
I can't make heads or tails of your observation. I can't see how 3 units attacking in any form would split 9 ways experience gain. It either goes to the unit delivering the final blow, as kills do, or they split up equally between the three. If what you are saying is that with a army of 9 units, ALL experience gains always goes to all of them, and that therefore an entire army of only three units would be bigger experience gains, that is correct math, but you forgot a huge part of the equation.

If I understand you correctly, I do not think you are correct, but let me continue as though you are. In this last game, we know I had 93 AFV kills, so obviously 93 experience gains (that is if every kill is an experience gain of some sort) were the minimum possible expereince gained. If you had 3 units, well look at all the experience you would gain compared to a greater number of units, right? Problem is, you will never get 93 kills with either 3 or 9 units. As well, if you get 9 kills with 9 units, and I get 93 kills with 92 units, then I come off better than you per unit experience gain.

Now, perhaps there has been a detailed explanation of how experience gains, be that in the manual or not, and for my part, I just get as many kills as possible and hope that helps. However, there are plenty of units that don't even have a kill that gain more than the ones with numerous kills. Also, there are units who seem to have not fired a single round, whom advance as well (if so, that would destroy the notion that guns fired, even with no kills, would gain experience alone - not that anyone has that theory).

Quote:
You mentioned cutting back in France, do you indent to delete your losest experienced units?
Hmmm, you do give me interesting food for thought. I had never considered that. But I don't think it ever pays off. for example: a PZIVB gets destroyed last battle in Poland and I replace it with another. Suppose the new unit comes in with 60 exp. I could gamble points away after that first battle in France, assuming this unit survives, and then buy another tank in the hopes of maybe getting a 75exp crew.

Otherwise, I don't see any point in deleting any. As well, I have not a lot of idea about how exp is gained, but I can tell you that number of kills can matter, and that units gain them without even firing a round. Inevitably, even if you are and I are totally blind to how they gain exp, they will, because if what I just said is true, they will all be flagged for gain before long. If you have a unit in that army for say 4 battles, the chances of him being of higher exp than the highest rated new unit of the same type is very high. In truth, ALL surviving units may gain exp, but inbetween battles we only are aware (onscreen at the top left) of the ones who gained in experience type, like experienced to elite. If one keeps a log of each units ranking one would find out quick enough if all survivors gain exp of some amount.