View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ranger/Airborne Short Camp.

Last night saw approx 8 turns of combat, with the enemy losing units almost every turn. The mission to hit and run has been accomplished to date by the Apaches and to an extent the ground troops. Currently, I am pleased with my progress but fear that I'm currently in a position that compromises my first goal.

An overview of the map is difficult as the terrain is hilly and varied, but the major points are as follows:

The map is hilly with lines of trees as well as small to medium sized patches (200M - 800m wide).

There is a stream that runs N-S just east of center, angling west in the north, and creating a small ravine with impassible/rough sides in the center part of the map.

Primary roads run E-W along the top part and bottom of the map.

Secondary roads run N-S about 800m east of the stream in the south and center but crossing it in the north and E-W on the SE side of the map, crossing the stream than merging with the primary road at a small village crossroad.

There are small clusters of buildings along the N-S road, particularly at the cross roads N and S.

There are several open areas in the south and center on the western side of the map (the Korean side), and a lot of open spaces in on the eastern side (my side).

The objectives were a lot closer to the enemy than they were to me and are located North at the crossing of the roads and stream, in the center in a section of forest on the west side of the ravine and in the south just west of the crossroads.

As I looked at this set up I realized that fighting over the objectives would be suicide for my little force. I wouldn't be able to get to them first and they could be very well defended, particularly in the North and Center. So, I review my personal goals:
Quote:
1. Don't get backed into a corner. Always have a way out.

2. Destroy as much of the enemy as possible.

3. Be constantly moving

4. Overwatch! Overwatch! Overwatch.
My plan was
Quote:
… to move the two ranger platoons and set up ambushes along possible routes, than fall back or flank, always moving.
So with this in mind I identified that the south would provide the best place to start. The objectives were the closest to my deployment line, so I could arrive and set up an ambush, hide and move on, future into enemy territory. I deployed 1st ranger south of the pair of roads, and 2nd Ranger north of them, knowing that the AI loves to target roads near objectives for pre-game bombardment. My Sharidons accompanied 1st Ranger for support, since they were likely to engage the enemy first and I would need Anti-armor at the ready. I planned a daring mission for half of my airborne troops that, so far, has proven invaluable. The two Blackhawk choppers were each loaded with one airborne squad, a heavy weapons (one had the Javelin ATGM, the other the MMG team) and a stinger section. I identified a hill located NW of the southern objectives that had a line of trees on it and overlooked a large section of road leading into the village to the south and an open area to the north. The goal was to put eyes on that hill to see what I could expect to encounter. The Javelin would be able to take out any heavies, I didn't want to deal with and the MMG would be able to suppress infantry trying to remove me. The Chinoks, SPMs and ammo carriers were held in reserve, to follow at a discrete distance. Both the Chinoks had a rifle squad and ammo canister loaded aboard, leaving room for units that may need to be moved somewhere else in a hurry.

The opening stages of the operation (turns 1-3) saw a lot more action than I’ve ever had in a game before. As the first Blackhawk was approaching his position, he was fired on by a couple of MANPADs, causing me some unneeded stress, but doing no damage. They were successful and placing their troops on the hill, the Javelin group at the crest of the hill, the MMG group on the SE slope. They were able to catch glimpses of troops moving down the road as they maneuvered for optimal visibility. Besides a platoon or so of infantry, they spotted BMP-1s and T-62s moving up the road at the end of the AI’s first turn. My ground units were slowed getting into position for an ambush, massing on the primary road so not to stir up dust, so I sent the Apaches on, overwathing the secondary road as it exited the village. The following turn the Apaches were able to destroy 7 BMP-1s in convoy along the secondary road. This enabled1st and 2nd ranger and support to cut across the road into a large group of trees to the south of the objectives that same turn.

The second phase of my operation has been to circle around the enemy’s right flank. There is a clear area between the bottom of the map and the trees that provides efferent movement. The clear area comes out on a small hill that looks into a small valley just south of the southern E-W road that the enemy has been moving on. I’m also moving up my HQ units, both battalion and company, along with 2 of the ammo carriers. During this stage of the operation, I set up the Sheridons as overwatch units as my units had to cover some open ground before making it to the trees. They were able to take about a couple of t-62s with HEAT and Shangri-La ATGMs before I relocated one to assist the infantry. My Apaches continued to perform Hit and run on units that my airborne squads spotted moving on the central objectives. While they drew some main cannon and AAMG fire, no damage as of yet. They will need to resupply soon and will do so in the rear by the SPMs. 1st and 2nd Ranger we able to navigate the forest through to the N-S road with no difficulty.

The current situation is of contact with a platoon or so of infantry coming up the hill from the West. My APCs were able to lay down suppressing fire while I unloaded 1st Ranger and began mass fire tactics. I also dispatched a Hummer with a LAW team and a RR team to guard the road in order to keep enemy AFVs and troops from surprising me in my right flank. The enemy was routed and dispersed after a couple of turns and 2nd Ranger was able to move through and take up positions NW of the hill along the trees just south of the road. They are there to intercept any units being redirected by the AI to engage my units on the hill. There was a nervous period when three T-62s that were moving up the primary road NE of our position were spotted by 1st Ranger, meaning that they would be able to bring their cannons to bare on my infantry and APCs from the rear. I repositioned one of the Sharidons and was successful in damaging and suppressing them to a small extent. I then brought in an Apache and was able to destroy one and further suppress the others before pealing off. In the turns previous to this moment, I was worried one of my Blackhawks would be found and destroyed, so I used this opportunity to run the MMG airborne group out and had them return to the Chinoks. Just previous to their lifting off, The Javelin team destroyed a mobile AD platform to help cover their escape.

My plan is to come in and attack the ground pounders the AI always has behind the mobile elements in the south. I should be able to shoot up a couple of squads, bring in some steel rain and get out of there before any heavies show up to stop my ground troops. I’m also hoping to find the enemy’s LAD units so my choppers will have more reign to blow things up and move units around. They will then swing north where they will be able to approach the objectives from the West, as well as take out any reserve/support units. As soon as I’ve cleared out the LAD elements in the south, the Chinoks will come in a resupply the Javelin team as well as anybody else that needs it. Their miniguns will also come in useful for mopping up infantry in the area. So far I believe I’ve accomplished the majority of my goals, however, that does depend on me not getting pinned in while I’m moving past the enemy. The AI has plenty of really big off map guns that, so far, have spend the whole game blowing up harmless buildings and chucks of forest that I’m not occupying or liable ever to occupy. So far so good.

(Note - I just checked the leangth of this thread and it's about 11 pages in Microsoft word. Have I ever mentioned that I am interested in becoming a writer? This may be a start )

Howard Tayer

Last edited by Lt. Ketch; October 7th, 2009 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Adding note