View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

[quote=Squirrelloid;727784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I think a standard of balance that requires more than 500 provinces is not a good standard of balance. Games at even 500 provinces just never end. And since the endgame looks the same for everyone... sure, if the map is big enough that you're starting endgame during your first war, then everyone is balanced. But that's both boring and uninteresting. There's no point in the research system if everyone is expected to be in endgame by the time they're fighting - might as well make all spells #researchlevel 0 at that point. Really, 300 provinces is too large, much less 500. And more than 15 provinces/player is definitely too many.
Quote:
Arguing that very large maps are the way to achieve balance is also clearly not what was intended by the developers.
I agree that the balance by large maps was not what the devs did. But large maps ARE part of the game. That are many variations in Dom3 other than 2 to 4 nations on small maps. I have no problem with blitz-duels but Dom3 wasnt made just for that. In order to tweak balance for a specific type of Dom3 game it was expected to use a mod (which is what we do).