View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Private

Tiwaking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tiwas Mod

Thanks for everyones help, but nothings fixing it!
Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:What things did you change since the last time it worked?
It's never worked. Thats the problem. It was crashing before with a nice clean "Purchase ship file has no seller! Cannot find seller ID" error which was easily fixable
Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
Some other problem areas I noticed during my search:
- Your slot layout for the Fighter is messy and overlapping. Lots of slots crammed on top of each other. Use my SFSlotmodder to help.
I made that with the slotmodder, anyone who tries doing it just with text editor is insane or a genius. According to the Starfury Haven Tutorial overlapping slots dont affect anything. I made it messy to show how the Romulans had absolutely squeezed every bit of space on the ship and had somehow added a heavy weapon launcher to an otherwise nondescript fighter.
Quote:
Suicide Junkie said: - Your heavy weapon slot has the same name as your light weapon slot (#1). This is bound to cause some confusion in the default component placement routine.
- Your fighter hull has a base crew of zero.
- Your fighter hull has a base energy storage of zero.
(These two may cause issues with the bar graphs, or instant death when trying to upgrade your cockpit)
The heavy weapon slot was an accident. I must have created a light weapon slot and just renamed it to heavy in the slotmodder. Whoops
The crew and energy storage were on purpose. I've fixed those now, but they arent causing the crash.

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said: - Your use of the prevents crew death ability indicates you don't quite understand how it works:
"Base Crew Death Rate Per Second" on the hull specifies how fast your crew decreases when you have NO lifesupport.
"Prevents Crew Death" decreases the rate of crew loss. However, it cannot make the crew loss rate negative.
It has nothing to with crew injuries due to weapons fire.
This was done on purpose. I thought that if a component had a say 5.0 prevent crew death, takes 50% it still has a 2.5% prevent rate. This obviously doesnt affect the fighter since it has a crew death rate of 0.0 so the only way to kill the pilot would be to.....blow up the cockpit

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said: - Major problem for later: Weapon scaling factor and Map scaling factor are zero in campaigndata.txt. This means a distance of 10 units normally is zero units long in your campaign. Very very not good.
I completely forgot about the weapon scaling factor having to be set to 1. Its mentioned in the modding guide PDF by Aaron Hall. Originally I had the maps in a 13x13 scale(Same as Space Empires III) with a x100 multiplier. I thought that might be causing the crash so changed it to 0 scale. I've fixed these values up now

Thanks for everyones help. Just remember that its just a test so of course the mod will have to remain very empty until I can get my head around the proper procedures to make it work