View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:49 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What was the first

Midway on the TRS-80 in '81 or so, Hunt the Bismark, plus B-1 bomber as well and also some sort of combined hex-sheet wargame that used manually shifted counters instead of a computer map (a sort of panzerblitz clone). All by Avalon Hill I think. may have been '82, it was just before and alongside when the Falklands war was happening.

Plus on the college Dec-20 there was a star Trek game, and empire. Both of which you could play on the Teletype if you wanted to zoom through reams of paper, or on the VT-100 which made more sense. I think there also was a "Rogue" type dungeon bash on the Dec-20 as well.

Also played Elite space game then, I think I had to borrow a friends BBC micro for that one?. Not sure if it was on the Dragon-32 or not. there was also something that needed the Spectrum, again borrowing a mate's machine, but can't recollect what that was - a dungeon basher type game. (There was another similar that used the ZX-80 but needed the RAM pack, which would wobble and lose the game as often as not, needing another 30 minute tape load from cassette!)

Oh, and the "use case" for getting my first IBM compatible PC was the Harpoon naval game, had tried getting folks interested at the wargames club in the tabletop ruleset without much success before then. So 89-90 or so for that.