View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: M10, Wolverine, Achilles Self-Propelled Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo View Post
What I'm objecting to is the notion that Achilles should be used because it is an official name. It was, but only within the walls of the DTD.
Hi CBO,

Well at least you recognize that ‘Achilles’ was an official name, but it obviously didn’t remain within the walls of the DTD, because now – like it or not – it is widely recognized.

But this is all academic, as it doesn’t much matter which department where called what when; or which source trail backs it up.

The fact is, the British M10 is widely recognized around the world, in books and on the internet as the ‘Achilles’ and ‘Wolverine’.

After this thread I looked at SPWaW, and the 3in version is called ‘Wolverine’ the 17Pdr ‘Achilles II C’. I don’t mention WaW as reputable source, not at all, but as another example of common usage.

Armour
As for referencing a site which has “anonymous” in the title, well I didn’t claim it was a credible source, in fact I was suspicious of the info. When you are talking about WWII trivia, you can find seven sites with eight different opinions; and half those sites have very official sounding names.

cheers,
Cross