View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Sergeant

cbo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: M10, Wolverine, Achilles Self-Propelled Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
If its misguided most tank museums get it wrong to,
It may be news to you, but museums gets lots of stuff wrong - often they just use the information available to you and me, primarily books, and they will, like any one else who has not had the time and opportunity to dig into the matter, get it wrong.

I would like to point out redcoat2's post, which clearly shows that the naming issue regarding the M10 is being dealt with in books, showing that not everyone is satisfied endlessly repeating the same old info.

Quote:
Cross lists its full name correctly
He does?

Quote:
but in the field it tended to be called Wolverine or M10 plus gun as in M10 17Pdr
..and this you know how?

Quote:
This helped us poor Brits tell what it was as naming equipment by a number did not seem to work well with the Brit mind set I guess, its a what so many Ms
Actually, judging from manuals and wardiaries, the British were perfectly capable of using silly things like M10, SP, 17-pr M10 and such

Quote:
Achillies implies its got a soft spot
And you know this how....?

Seems more likely that the DTD decided that self-propelled anti-tank guns should have names beginning with A - like Archer, Achilles and Avenger...

Quote:
Wolverine its fast & American as in the animal, perhaps a bit cunning to.
There is nothing fast about an M10, nor does Wolverine fit what appears to be the DTDs naming conventions for SP anti-tank guns. Maybe there is a reason why it wasn't used in WWII....

cbo