Thread: 2400.7.1
View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road
Default Belanai Society's story

Once again, I'd like to thank my Editor in Chief, SJ, for his numerous and very helpful suggestions and guidance. The savegame files are attached, as always. Also, don't forget to check out my comments thread.

How did I get into this mess?

It started innocently enough. Scout was less than 1000 kilometers from the WarpPoint, ready to follow the alien vessel into another star system. I was off-duty, downloading a recent article by astrophysicist Gerum I'morum describing his new theory on the functional physics of WarpPoints, when the transmission came in.
"Date: 2401.198
To: Arabna Jelocu, commander of Scout
RE: New Orders
Return with all speed to Belanara. Arabna Jelocu jur%@#$ $32#$6&(^FG$@^YN$RR%^AWfsdge454wrfdfgte4r^$%EWATRDSFTG%$^ SRertf..."

Most of the message was garbled. I postulated that it was due to our proximity to the WarpPoint, and made a note of that in the science logs. Scout had turned into something of a test bed for Warp Travel technologies, it seemed. So, we turned Scout around and headed back home.

Upon my arrival at the shipyard docks, I printed of a hard-copy of the message, such as it was, and disembarked. On the landing platform I discovered a young Bella waiting for me. She told me that the Council was waiting for me, and led me to an express elevator straight to the planet's surface. From there, I was ushered into a ground-car, and soon found myself at the Council building. Completely ignorant of why the Council would wish to see me, I asked at the front desk. The clerk there seemed quite dull; he didn't ask me any questions, and answered none. He simply had me scan my ID into the system, then directed me toward the Council Chambers.

By the time I arrived at the council chambers, I was already dreading the worst. But I had no idea just how bad it was going to be. Most of the Belanai were unfamiliar to me. I did vaguely recognized the Administrator, although I couldn't remember his name. And of course, I recognized the Construction Minister, Alemni Xeratom. There were a few planet-side Military ships that had some civilian uses; when the Military had been disbanded, he had been given authority over those. The Scout was among them, although it was new, and not a surface ship. He was furious, however, and wouldn't even look at me. He is a very intelligent man, and I'd hoped not to disappoint him. It appeared that I had, somehow. Why else would I be here?

Once I arrived, the Administrator called the Council to order. First I was introduced to everyone at the table. I admit that I still don't recall some of their names. Then they discussed colony development on False Hope. Apparently the plan is to build a large medical facility. It's main focus would be on Medicinal research, searching for new and better understanding of our physical selves and how to treat ailments. Additionally, it would be capable of quickly containing and vaccinating everyone against another plague, like the one the Brotherhood grew desperate enough to try back in 2371. Well, not everyone; it seems that the colonists in systems outside Xtreme won't be covered. I just hope that the aliens don't prove as willing to kill us as our own kind did.

After that is built, a headquarters for a system-wide environmental control facility will be constructed. It's a bit late for environmental improvement here on Belanara; the War ravaged her. Then again, administrators weren't known for their common sense. Who knows what "logic" brought them to that decision?

At this point, my thoughts were interrupted when Administrator gave me an odd look and said "But before any of that, the shipyards there will continue to build the two Defense class ships. Correct, Xeratom?". If it were possible, the Construction Minister appeared to grow even more angry, but managed to grunt his accent. The Administrator (I believe his name is Gelstin) continued to look at me, almost expectantly. After an awkward moment, the design minister meekly asked if, with the recent breakthrough in missile storage and loading mechanisms, the Defense ships should be put off until after the design can be upgraded. Again, the Administrator looked at me, and seemed to be waiting for me to say something. When I did not, he seemed troubled; but he told the Design Administrator that the construction on the first ship was too far along to change the plans now, but surely her team could have the designs upgraded by next month, when construction was to start on the second ship.

After that, the discussion turned toward the details of the trade alliance the aliens had proposed. The linguists were still having trouble with the language barrier, although most of the rudiments of the translation had been worked out. For instance, there seems to be no consensus on what these aliens actually call themselves. But a trade alliance is good news; it means I'm not going to have to go up against that alien ship with absolutely no information about them or their weapon systems. I can instead focus on using Scout to explore for more planets to colonize. Unless... unless the treaty is just a ruse, to gain unhindered access to our Warppoint! The Brotherhood had tried that tactic occasionally; they promise peace in exchange for a bit more territory, or a shipment of food. Every time they had dangled that bait of "peace" in front of us, the Administrators had desperately grabbed for it. And every time, we had found our hand caught in a trap.

I've seen the size of ships they could build, and to my knowledge, the only ship we have is Scout. Belanara have mercy on us all if they prove as hostile as the Brotherhood was.

I came out of my thoughts to find Alemni Xeratom gruffly listing off what was to be constructed on which colonies, and here at the shipyards. Apparently, I missed what was decided about the treaty proposal. There was some discussion of what should be built here at the Belanai shipyards, but honestly, I found all this mostly boring. I am a man of action, why was I called to this table to sit here and listen to them talk about the workings of the Society?

Soon the Administrator announced that all the business seemed to be finished, and seeing as we all surely had better things to do than sit here, he adjourned the meeting! "Wait!" I said, "Why did the Council summon me here?" For a moment, one last moment of peace, they all just stared at me. Then they were all shouting questions and/or accusations at me! I could make nothing of the cacophony. The Administrator quieted everyone down, then turned to me and said, "I don't understand. You are here, so you obviously received our message. It was self-explanatory!" I began to hand him the hard-copy I'd printed out, explaining that most of it was garbled, when he added, "You've been appointed as the new Military Administrator."

I was dumbstruck! Military Administrator! I ... I can't be stuck behind a desk! I belong on a ship! With my Bela! But my voice abandoned me, and I just stood there with a blastedly idiotic look on my face, the message still in my hand, as the Administrator apologized for the confusion and consoled me on my appointment. Everyone seemed confused, but filed past me out of the chamber. Most smiled sadly at me, understanding the disappointment apparent on my face, but Xeratom continued to shoot icy glares my way. It took a moment for me to understand why. The Construction Ministry had taken over the Military assets that weren't scrapped along with the Military Ministry itself. Now that there was again a Military Administrator, Xeratom must have lost control of those assets (to me!), and thus lost some of his political pull as well. If he wanted to get out of here and back into a research lab, as I'd heard rumors of, then he'll need as much political muscle as he can get. No wonder he staring daggers at me!

After the others had left, Administrator Gelstin introduced me to my administrative assistant. She was the same young Belle that met me at the space dock. Gelstin assured me that if I needed guidance, he would be willing to assist me. Before taking his leave, he gave me my access codes. My administrative assistant then apologized, as well, for the confusion. She game me a quick tour of the labyrinthine offices behind the main Chambers, then showed me to my office, and left me to begin my new work.

Now I sit here, alone in this large office, wondering what I'm supposed to do. I suppose I have answered my own question; that's how I got into this mess. Now the more important question is, "What in all insanity am I to do now"? The only combat worthy space asset the Society has is Scout. I will have to send it back out through the Warppoint. If these nameless aliens don't share our views on peace, I will have to fight them. I'd rather not do that here in Xtreme! So Scout's next task is to explore, find the aliens so that we can at least know what we may be up against. I'll give command of Scout to Selam. He made a good first mate, and he's a solid head on his shoulders. He'll keep the ol' girl safe.

Farewell, old friend. I envy you.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Belanai 2401.3.rar (79.7 KB, 492 views)