View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK infantry organisation.

Quote:
Listy said:
Haveing had a good look through the UK infantry I don't belive that it's an accurate and correct arangement.

From talking to serving nad Ex-soldiers from all branchs THis Is the UK's organisation of it's infantry.

Comand Section:
Troop comander, Troop Sgt + Specailists (RTO, 51mm Mortar gunner Etc).

3x Rifle Sections, Each with:
8 men,
2x LMG's (Brens, GPMG's, LSW's or M249 SAW's),
2x LAW's

1x support section
5 Men,
2x MMG's

In the current OOB, you seem to have combined the Support and comand sections.
In some formations the Support section is dropped.

Any coments?
Well, as an ex infantryman (A (Black Watch)co 1/51 Highland), and as the whole point of writing the original mobhack way back in the first place was to fix the UK OOB that SSI had provided, then my interest in the UK OOB is guaranteed

As you are talking the 3 rifle sections and 2 sub-sections, that is the modern rifle platoon org, and not the old WW2 to 80's org. (Altought the old org really tended to split PHQ into the officer's party and the support under the platoon Sgt anyway in practice, and in the manual as well "Rifle platoon in battle 1968" I think was still current in 1977).

We do not use "command sections" in the game - they have a gigantic "kick me" factor in SP games. Try SP3 - the first thing you do there is to kill the little micro-infantry comapny HQs you see..

Suport+command is therefore rolled into 1 fire support section (or PHQ for the early org - still just a heavy inf section). Some of these have various versions (including ditching the mini mortar - our 2 inch mortars back in the 70s lived in the armoury, a waste of 2 men in platoon HQ that could be used more usefully elsewhere). The various versions allows for the usual UK local variations on task or individual batallion's preferences, like replacing worthless mini mortars with something which uses 2 men and the weight more profitably (another GPMG say).

So - what formations are missing the support section, or are you just confused by earlier orgs using "rifle section" as a title for the support section, which is a modern org thing?. Please give formation slot number etc when reporting possible errors in the future - "In some formations the Support section is dropped" is simply too vague a statement to properly investigate unless I am prepared to blindly dig through the OOB. Also - dates would be handy too, so I dont have to look from 1946 to 2020 through all the infantry formations!

Cheers
Andy