View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Corporal

daesthai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orcs, Elves, and the One Cliché to Rule Them A

Quote:
Reverend Zombie said:

The Norse had Elves, too (and I recall reading that the Norse idea of Elf inspired Tolkien.)

I was under the impression that Tolkien's elves came from a Finnish background and his love of The Kalevala. You can certainly see it's influence on The Silmarillion, which in turn set the foundation for his classic trilogy. Though I'm sure he drew from many places and wouldn't be a bit suprised if Norse myths entered into it, too. If you get a chance to read his letters (as well as The Kalevala and Silmarillion), they are truly facinating. Admitedly "dry" reads, but very rich stories.

As for the debate regarding the inclusion of "Tolkien-esque" races, I say why not? If they are presented as one of the nation options and not the central theme of the game, I would think they simply become one more choice available and present the chance to appeal to an even wider audience.

I agree that it would be a travesty to turn Dom3 into a purely Tolkien setting, but why not have a single army that appeals to those that enjoy such characters and could then become more familiar with some of the other mythos involved.