Old October 19th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Corporal

daesthai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orcs, Elves, and the One Cliché to Rule Them A

Quote:
Reverend Zombie said:
Quote:
Endoperez said:
EDIT: I'd rather have Middle-Earth total conversion instead of few out-of-place nations. And I think a tutorial would help much more than familiar-seeming nations.
Yeah, let somebody mod it if they really want it!
Points taken. Especially the tutorial reference. Though I find the out-of-place reference interesting. Though the current nations have their mythological similarities, they come from a variety of mythos. So why not one more? I do agree that we've been recently re-inundated with Tolkien and it seems cliche, but is that possibly because it is a young mythos, historically speaking, and one that is very familiar and currently popular?

I guess the question comes down to - Do you feel Tolkien's Middle Earth qualifies as a mythos - and one on par with the others represented? Obviously it is a beautiful narrative and has created a complete history for itself and the cultures within it. But is there something lacking? I guess my stance in the debate reveals my personal thought here. But I'm curious what others think.

If I offer the previously stated thought that its current popularity (along with some truly obsesive fans) is at least partially to blame for its supposed trite-ness, and that when Tolkien created it, it was not cliche, but fresh... Given that, does Tolkien's middle earth qualify as a mythos on a level with those already in the game?