Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

I think we're closer to "Apples to Apples" in relation to equipment sales and ammo sales as you've suggested.

A recent example as I submitted is a single item further revision to the OPLOT-T as compared to the OPLOT-M. Or T-90M versus T-90MS. These are things I have to keep in mind constantly in dealing with equipment issues.

A more practical one would deal with the ABRAMS, the last thing we need is to have a country running around with one of our tanks and it would fall into the hands of the enemy opposing that government. We saw this happen in Iraq when some of those ABRAMS got into the Iranian backed militias.

I'm sure Iran benefitted from those tanks however, but they didn't get our DU Armor tech, FCS etc. and they also didn't get our latest (Or near to.) ammo types either. I f I had to guess they probably got something on the level of mid to late 90's or early 2K tech.

We have enough of those tanks stockpiled to support our needs for modernization or export sales.

So yes "friends to friends" but not always including ammo.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..