View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM

Sergeant

oragus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Assault Breecher Vehicle

Yep, that is the camera for remote operations, but no idea about the TI or LRF in there also. I do know that when I operated the M728 CEV all the range finder equipment from the M60A1s and A3s were removed. No need for a range finder. We had our normal sighting systems and that was it and a good crew would hit very proficently. They developed all that technology out of the Panther programs. Remote operated M60 and M1 hulls with mine rollers mounted on them.

The ABV does not need to know where the other bank is, it does not deploy a bridge. The JAB, Joint Assault Bridge, does and it don't need to know that either. I also operated the AVLB, Armored Vehicle Launched Bridge, both M48A5 and M60 variants that are still in service today, till they get phased out by the JAB of course. Its about time! lol

The ABV's MICLIC has one range and one range only and one command. FIRE!. lol. The rocket takes the charges to its full range, they blow it, follow up with the plow, deploy markers while plowing and minefield is breeched. When I was in the army that took 2 vehicles to do. Usually a M113 towing a MICLIC trailer partnered with either a M728 CEV or a M9 A.C.E., Armored Combat Earthmover. The MICLIC was fired, the blade assest would follow up the MICLIC charge, then the M113 would cover the men marking the lane thru the minefield. I have seen and heard of them mounting 2 MICLIC boxes on a AVLB without its bridge to have more protection and 2 breeches out of one vehicle during Desert Storm, but only in pictures. I never saw it first hand.

Oragus