View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:14 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gotta AI problem here and I could use some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS TrooP View Post
Now, my problem is NOT the way they retreat. Problem is they choose sorta "retarded" paths, going over and around. If you do not mind spoilers, I can show you the WIP version. When you watch the first turn, you will see that AI units are just going randomly to the left and then they eventually MAY turn, only to capture the flag nearby. I will try to move some flags around, may that's what messed up (but usually works in left/right orientation).

This is typical scenario of mine, so brigade sized engagement - not that I'm lazy but you can guess I would do my best to avoid waypointing about 450 units.
I'm not sure if this will help, but I will often deploy only my forward elements on the initial turn, leaving follow-on elements to a reinforcement turn. I think I may have already said that I use waypoint movement for most of my attacking forces. Most of the time I do this for reinforcement turn elements, and sometimes I merely place them forward in the map (not on the side edge) towards an objective flag where I let them move independently. This usually has to be adjusted in play-testing to see how far my lead elements get to make sure my intended objectives are still not seized. It's an imperfect system.

Without waypoints, your OPFOR will often execute tactically unsound movement (I presume the path of least resistance). So if your terrain favors the defense, you're stuck with waypoints for survivability. So I use the "place and hope for the best" method sparingly.

It works for me most of the time when I design large scale battles (which is most of what I do). This may eliminate some of the tedious nature of assigning way points for your second echelon in large scale engagements.

I have no objection to you posting your Work In Progress and would surely look at it.

Best.

Tom