View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Corporal

danm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Uz: the trolls of Glorantha

Clan Mothers are intended to be Uzko, not Uzuz, though slightly raised in power to compensate for the fact that I don't have any proper Mistress Race units. I've been toying with the idea of a Mistress Race commander, who would cost > 100 resources and 500-ish gold, but have been daunted by the sprite i want for her... (i know what it should look like, but just haven't drawn it yet) When/if I introduce a suitably impressive Uzuz commander, I'd probably drop the clanmother's magic a bit.

I want the race to be resource-constrained more than gold, to help keep them in the mountains and other properly trollish places. If anything, I'd rather raise their resource costs instead of gold, but am concerned that they could end up unusable without Production scales, which is also kinda unthematic... (though in practice, i've just accepted that in Dom, trolls just aren't as Slothful as they ought to be)

I shared your concerns about death magic, and even tried several variations with clanmothers as primarily nature mages, and other ideas, and it just didn't work - death and darkness are too deeply tied in Dom. It helps a lot if you consider the incorporeal undead to be "darkness spirits" instead of really "undead". (and an awful lot of the undead summonables ARE incorporeal, which is convenient) I have also set it up so you really don't need to research Enchantment at all, which skips the annoying and a-thematic problem of your Kyger Litor priestesses all skelli-spamming all the time. (I tried a 'summon trollkin' replacement, but couldn't get the AI to consistantly use it instead without making it insanely overpowered)

It would have been cool if I could make it so that only Death Lords could cast the corporeal undead spells, and still have clanmothers casting all the spirit-based ones, but I don't think it's possible.

"Karrg Son" is intentional, meaning "son Like Karrg" rather than "Mighty Runelord Karrg Worshipper" - really just a slightly more matriarchal take on the title and the social role of Karrg sons as opposed to the ZZi Deathlords. Sons belong to their Mother, not some mere male, no matter how cool and favored he is.

Glad you like the mod. I've been (slightly) tempted by the idea of a "Glorantha Complete Conversion" mod, but with the time i've sunk into just the Uz, I'm about 99% sure that I'll not be the one to bring such a delightful project to fruition... dfase: