View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Germany

Doing a touch of research to determine how I can realistically upgrade my force, it seems there is no way to really do it. Given the location that my last battle took place, Bialystok, USSR, the vast proportion of the Soviet forces didn't make it out. The 3rd Army was capture; the 10th Army was captured; the 4th Army survived, but units were starting to be transferred by the end of 7/41. I've also found that all Soviet mechanized corps were destroyed early in the war and none were created again until 8/42. My next battle is in 7/41.

Based on this information, I will have to deviate from reality sooner or later. First off, I'm generally defying history by surviving. This can't be helped, since I'm not going to lose to be realistic. For the most part, the parent units of all Soviet units in the Bialystok area ceased to exist shortly after the battle. There were survivors, but those were parceled out to other armies. I have no idea which ones did survive and where they went. This gives me something of a blank check as to where I want to be. From what I read, I won't get that blank check until after 7/41.

All that said, I'm going to compelled for sake of realism to stick with equipment similar to what I already have, at least with respect to armor and ATGs. My infantry, I can upgrade since it generally involves changes in small arms. While I don't have any integrated AT options until 10/41, I can incorporate SMG teams into each of my platoons. I'm also going to make sure all of my engineers have flame throwers and satchel charges.

The only thing I have left to decide is should I replace my lost armor. In the June-July time period, it is highly unlikely line units were receiving replacement tanks. More than likely, it was repair and get them back on the line. I'm going to leave my four destroyed armor units (two medium tanks, one light tank and one armored car) out of action during the next battle. If needed, I'll use support points for next battle. During the reassignment after 7/41, I'll replace based on my new parent unit.