View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: British Special Forces small arms 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by halstein View Post

To get to start Officer/NCO training here in Norway, the minimum time for running 3000m is 14 min for men and 15 min for women. This is the same on all physical tests. (The qualifications and grading in Norwegian: https://forsvaret.no/karriere/krav/fysiske-krav)
suddenly I feel my age......

I was never a runner, even in my teens I'd finish a X-country at the back of the pack.....might have something to do with the wonky heart valve I was born with but that's been fixed and now I'm bionic

After I recovered from the open heart surgery and stroke I decided I didn't want to be quite as chubby as I had become so I set out to loose weight and because I am NOT a particularly patient person I went at it big time with a 1000 cal deficit diet...so if I burned 3000 cals I could eat 2000......it's hard to do but you get used to it ( so is self-flagellation I understand...)....6 months after my surgery I was 50 pounds lighter than I was when I started and I was walking 4km a day and that , at the time was a "big deal".....and I was even occasionally running 400-500 m at a stretch ( again.....a "big deal" for me)....this year I start going further....then further...then I FINALLY got off the Beta blockers and I started running 2km a day......now to put that into perspective I hadn't run a full 2km IN MY LIFE before that and in the last month I've run nearly 70 km and if ANYONE had suggested even 20 years ( even 40 ! ) ago that when I was 63 I'd be running 70 km a month I would have wondered where you were buying your drugs

Anyway..the POINT of all this was your "minimum time for running 3000m is 14 min"....... I have a ways to go to catch up to 20 year old Norwegians 14 minutes is a good time for me for 2km........3km in 14 minutes seems impossible ....but so did "running" in general not long ago

Last edited by DRG; January 19th, 2017 at 03:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: