View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crossbows vs. Longbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
2. I saw a documentary about the battle at Agincourt that pitted a Longbow of the day agianst the best armour that the French Knights would have used in that battle.

The results whre startling...Until very close, FEW of the arrows could pierce the Armour.

What turnd the battle was that the Archers where massed at the bridge and the Knights tried to go around the bridge.

Unfortunetly, It has been rainng for 2 days and the knight got bogged down letting the archers fire at close range.

Even this didn't win the battle (though it certainly had an impact).

The archers shot the horses which threw the knights to the gound in the deep muck and as they piled upon each other the ones on the bottom suffocated while the ones on the top took fire at close range.

But, It WAS the first battle that Longbows where used and they DID win the day..even if it wasn't like we thought.

Agian, it was a documentary (History International)....I have not done any study on it.

just an opinion.
The first point is interesting, yet you must have made mistakes about Battle of Agincourt. The battle took place on a narrow grass between two forests, and most of the French knights were dismounted. Some further studies belive the french plate armors were well proved in that battle, just the mud and terrible leadership brought French that defeat.

I guess in game that's more like 100 man-at-arms under the curse of stone from Henry V get slaughtered by 30 longbowmen. (p.s, the longbowmen in game do have good strength for melee.)