View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2017, 08:00 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Rommel, Erwin "Attacks" 1937

ATTACKS
Field Marshal ERWIN ROMMEL

Publisher's Note

ATTACKS is a classic in military literature. First published in Germany in 1937 under the title Infanterie Greift An, it became a great success before World War II and played a major role in launching Rommel on the road to fame. The book went through at least eighteen printings by 1944, when the legendary soldier was forced to commit suicide because of his implication in the plot against Hitler.

The US Army translated the book in 1943 and General George Patton became familiar with it. Patton was reportedly "electrified" by the book, and read it again and again until he knew it by heart. Other American officers also took a keen interest in the book, and an abridged edition was published in1944 by the "Infantry Journal" under the title Infantry Attacks.

Source: https://ia600207.us.archive.org/30/i...win_Rommel.pdf

Foreword to the 1937 Edition

This book describes numerous World War I battles which I experienced as an infantry officer. Remarks are appended to many descriptions in order to extract worthwhile lessons from the particular operation.

The notes, made directly after combat, will show German youth capable of bearing arms, the unbounded spirit of self-sacrifice and courage with which the German soldier, especially the infantryman, fought for Germany during the four-and-a-half-year war. The following examples are
proof of the tremendous combat powers of the German infantry, even when faced with superior odds in men and equipment; and these sketches are again proof of the superiority of the junior German commander to his enemy counterpart.

Finally, this book should make a contribution towards perpetuating those experiences of the bitter war years; experiences often gained at the cost of great deprivations and bitter sacrifice.

ERWIN ROMMEL
Lieutenant Colonel

Observations after an Action

"Fights in inhabited places often take place at extremely short ranges (a few yards). Hand grenades and machine pistols are essential. Provide fire protection before attacking by means of machine guns, mortars and assault guns. An attack in a village is usually accompanied by heavy casualties and should be avoided whenever possible. Pin the enemy down to the village by means of fire, or blind him with smoke and hit him outside the village or town." (Rommel, Page 19)

The fighting by the Iraqi Golden Division for Mosul with ISIS is a testament to what Rommel experienced in World War I, the Great War, as a young platoon leader in the village of Bleid. Also, we may point to the Israeli reluctance and ultimate withdrawal of the IDF from a full infantry assault on Gaza in 2014, or the fight at Bint Jbeil in the 2006 Second Lebanon War.

H.R. McMaster quoted Rommel in his disposition of the action of his command, Eagle Troop 2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment at the Battle of 73 Easting: “I have found again and again in encounter actions the day goes to the side that is first to plaster its opponents with fire.”

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rommel.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	14790  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post: