View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2009, 04:52 AM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glory v3.17 SP map, hand-named with start locs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
I didn't realize that Fomoria's island was actually several provinces, that helps things a lot. 280ish I think would be fine. It is a little silly though to sort of maroon them, and it makes them VERY defensible potentially. I think it would make sense to just give one or two of the island provinces direct connections to the neighboring landmasses.

Edit: Oh, and if you could make sure that there's something to differentiate it in the map selection screen that would be great. ATM I just have two identical glory maps, with no way of telling which is which AFAIK.

Yes, Fomoria's island is pretty defensible, by virtue of being land-approachable only via two bottleneck approaches (see attached image), but it seems good consolation for a six-province home territory in a smaller area. (That was why I originally placed Arco.) The visual part of the map makes it appear to be marooning them, but those two connections are simply bottlenecks no more unbalanced, defensibility-wise, than a corner position with a few mountain barriers. It seems pretty balanced to me (especially with its native ability to seize the surrounding water provinces and sailing), and its neighbors are no shrinking violets.

In regard to the two files, I'm not sure why it's showing up that way on your game. I took pains to ensure they have clearly-differentiated #dom2title tags. When I start a game, I see them appear as:

Glory of the Gods (v3.17_G5 fixed starts)
Glory of the Gods (v3.17_G5 random starts)

I am pretty sure I did that originally as well, but perhaps the first archive I uploaded had a misnamed/erroneous .map file. The current version up should be okay, though I'll shortly be uploading G6 with adjustments to the territories in question to balance the resource availability.