View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2019, 07:20 AM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road
Default Click-based enemy spotting

There are several events in WinSPWW2 that may render an enemy unit visible during your turn. These are: fire from the enemy, turning or rallying of a unit that overviews the location of the enemy, the approach of another friendly unit. One such event, however, does not fit into the list above because it does not correspond to an action in the game universe.

I mean a mouse click on a unit of yours. It is merely a user-interface event that only selects a unit but does not cause it to do anything. What is the justification of updating the visibility of enemy units within a friendly unit's LOS when the player selects it with the mouse?

In my opinion, enemies should become visible in consequence of true in-game events such as those listed above and may be other ones known to the developers, but not when the player has clicked on a unit, because it is not an in-game event. The current behavior encourages the player to click on all units in sight of the location of the last op-fire in order sooner to discover the firer, which again makes no sense because sequential selection of units does not cause them to do anything in terms of simulated combat.

I wonder what the developers and players think of this mechanic. Attached is a saved game that demonstrates it. Click on unit C1 at hex (44,1) to reveal an enemy at (34,3).
Attached Files
File Type: zip clickvis.zip (190.7 KB, 392 views)