View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Two Items: Line of Sight and movement

1) I would love to see a 40 hex LOS through forests. Please point me out an example of this, and I'll see what is wrong.

Though you can see up to 2-3 or so hexes into forests in high-visibility maps - more into orchards which are less dense. SP maps have always been so, in that LOS penetrates further into cover the higher the visibility setting for the map is. But never 40 hexes, not even in MBT with thermal imaging.

2) The move radius is only shown when you first select a unit. Should you rally that unit, thus regaining some MP - it will not redraw the highlighted area. It will only update on a redraw event triggered by movement or if you select some other unit and move back. It probably never has ever redrawn itself after a rally, as the code for that routine will be the basic SP1/2 stuff. It also gets highly confused by mixed water/land/bridge possibilities, and still does even after some remedial work was done a few years ago by us. So it is (and never has been) anything other than a rough planning guide to what's available, possibly of some use to beginners though?.

(I must admit I turned that feature off after the first game of SP1 I played back in whenever - 1997? - and have never used it since. I prefer my map to be in natural lighting, and not some sort of "LOS shadow" fog effect)

3) What version 7 is advertised on the Shrapnel website, and where?.

The old MSDOS game had reached 7.01, but is of course no longer supported - as being redundant after the port to windows. Hence the change of name to WinSPWW2 v1.0 after the DOS SPWW2 v7.01.

See the Game Guide "Development History" section - the old MSDOS versions are listed after the Win versions, and the details of the changes in reverse order in there under the "What was New for Version X.X" headings, back to 3.0.

Cheers
Andy