View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERISS View Post
I didn't understand that you used aircratf roundel.
You're right, but if you want more historical accuracy (and beauty), you should make the cross thikier (and maybe the horizontal bar a little less wide?), as your cross does not really seem a good Croix de Lorainne, yours seem an aiming tool for enemies lol (not only ingame).
Your flag is okay.
Thanks for your good work (oh, I just see the reputation tool of the forum...)

I researched the Free French roundel when I made this mod, and by looking at WWII photos I concluded there probably wasn’t a clearly communicated dimensional standard for the cross.

A good example is the above photo where the under-wing cross is thin compared to the cross on the fuselage. Another photo even has a Free French ‘budded cross’ on a white circle.

In looking at contemporary examples, the roundel is typically a thin cross.
The French ‘Free French’ Wikipedia page has the roundel just like the design I’ve used:

The above is a screen print from the French Wikipedia page, after a Google translation into English. You can see that the Free French Navy use a thick cross, but tanks and aircraft were supposed to have the narrow cross.

Here’s the website for the above image:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forces_...A7aises_libres

If I were to make the horizontal bar less wide, it would match the 'Croix de Lorainne' on the flag, but not the roundel.

But please show me if you have any good sources on the roundel.

Thanks,
Cross