View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Merkava invincible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I spoke to the crew of a LAV-25 after the Kafji battle during Gulf I who'd been off to the west near the border where the second (and largely unreported) incursion by Iraqi forces occurred. They were sitting in a small wadi when a T-62 showed up and having nothing else handy (the infantry dismounts had taken all the AT-4's) they opened up with the 25mm. While they knew it was pretty pointless when it's all you have ...

After the thing was taken out by an AH-1 they went up to look it over and found to their surprise that the Bushmaster's APDS-T rounds had chiseled a crater into the turret. They said that given enough time/ammo they thought they could have taken it out by drilling a hole clear thru.
Can't remember where or when, but I've seen a photo of a Sherman that was the closest thing to a metal swiss cheese you could see. The marks were all from MG-42s and maybe 20mm Flak. So yeah, every kind of projectile (well, almost every) will cause a dent to the armor and given enough time and ammo theoretically penetrate through brute force alone. How practical this is though, is another matter altogether...
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: