View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: What Should I Do?

Quote:
CaptainAL said:
What a coincidance, my Nortan subscription just expired too! Seeing that almost everyone says NO to NOrton, and there are many opinions on what is the best, I looked to the search engine. I found this site that evaluates anti-virus software, http://antivirus.about.com , but I don't know if it is trustworthy. It rates the top 8, and Norton isn't in there.

The #1 pick is PC-cillian. So I am asking - does anyone use PC-cillian or know enough about it to vouch for it? And thanks to AT and all those who replied for saving me from re-newing Norton, which I would have done if not for this post.
That list does not rank them by anti-virus capabities at all apparently. The top spots go to combined programs that do more than anti-virus, which really is not a good way to do it. Hell, norton internet security is _on_ the list, which tells you right away that it is worthless. :-\ Kaspersky really is number 1. It is also great because it _doesn't_ have a really crappy "modern" interface (aka WinXP style lack of control). It does not try to insult your intelligence by hiding the controls away under a shiney, flashy interface that causes pain when working with it (such as Norton does)...

For all of your firewall needs, you want <a href="http://kerio.com/dwn/kpf2-en-win.exe">Kerio 2.1.5</a>. It is possibly the best out there these days and it is completely free. Do not bother with the newer versions of the program, as they do not offer improved functionality, just a dumbed down "modern" interface.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.