View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM

Corporal

Palle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Việt Nam Ðộc L*p Ðồng Minh Hội Struggle for Liberty!

Third game done, a defence against NV Assault in dense jungle.

I dunno if they got slowed by arty in the jungle, for I could only see them when they got within 4 hexes of my front screen of snipers and Target hexes. As it was it was an easy Decisive for only the first wave of the likely Human Wave assault ever got within 4 of my main line of defence consisting of dug in strongpoints of company size able to a small extent (jungle blocks LoS) to support each other and with kill zones in between.

Few of the units in the Main Defence ever got to fire a shot, for the snipers (until pulling back) and arty kept the VM at bay and the endless waves of infantry never materialised, only an estimated one. And the reserve company of Chaffees never even deployed from their initial positions.

Probably slugging through the jungle slows even the VM... and my 155s taking out the two bridges across the stream as the snipers spotted the first units crossing probably slowed them further. It seems they still did not rout or retreat for more than one round before rallying, at least those in sight did not. What those who went out of sight did, I cannot say.

Lessons learned; none really as the battle never happened before the scenario ended. But it confirmed that arty/hv. mortars is a great help against an all-infantry force.

This was a somewhat Dien Bien Phu- like scenario, though I used no barbed wire and mines, and those few VM that reached the French line suffered the same fate as many of the Human Wave attacks against DBP did. Further Assaults will be interesting, to see whether they followm the trend.

Proud to be Danish!