Thread: AAR A runamia AAR
View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Private

a_ver_est is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A runamia AAR

15st Battle ( Defend - 55 turn - visibility 33 )

Battle Plan:

We were at a hilly area with some forest, some points over 90 high. We were ordered to defend a small valley surrounded by hills with narrow passages between them at north and a forest at south. There was a road from east to west at the top of the map.

There was just two objectives to protect, one next to the a north hill, and the other one at the south forest.

We had some time to prepare, so we laid a minefield belt protecting our front line and flanks, also some trenches were prepared at the north mountain in a reverse sloop position and at the front line. South flank was protected by the big forest.

Company A was deployed at the north, some sections at the hill trenches and the others at the north-east trenches. One AT battery was supporting them.

The front line was covered by the company B, also supported by one AT battery.

Finally an understrength company C plus engineers were deployed inside the forest.

Two AT-guns batteries were the reserve, plus one section of C company.

Go:

After few turns of battle it seemed like nothing had happened, just a small artillery fire exchange. Some mines explosions were listened at the road, north hill defenders took positions but no enemy was saw.

Suddenly our rear security element (mainly AAA guns, snipers and a few scouts) detected a section of T-34 tanks flanking our main force.

At same time the south defenders also reported that they had been flanked and now the enemy was at their rear, enemy had been able to capture some victory hexes even without fight.

Alarm voices were listened, a section of company A was ordered to hide into a small trees area and wait for the T-34, but there was a big concern, what could happen if the enemy tanks decided to attack our unprotected artillery ?

At the south forest after the initial surprise company C launched a small offensive which could recapture the objective and neutralize the enemy, fortunately there were just a few T-28 plus some desant teams.

Around all the mine belt area explosions were listened, our troops reported several smoke columns appearing.

The north T34 launched an assault versus the objective, our company A section was able to ambush them at the treeline successfully. But more tanks reached our rear, T-28 plus more T34. One artillery gun was lost.

At the north-east trench a big number of enemy troops supported by tanks tried to breach our defenses, our artillery was plotted over them.

Also some Kv1 were located heading the north hill, defenders were able to hold the line, but at their east flank our defenses fallen, a second line was set at small treeline.

A new attack was launched at our rear with the infiltrated tanks, an AT-gun was ordered to move to ambush them, meanwhile the AAA guns were going to try to win some time. The plan was successful but we lost the AAA crews.

After the defeat of the enemy flanking movement the battle turned in a mass assault against our defensive positions, we were able to old the line with the support of our artillery. At turn 44 the enemy withdraw.

Decisive victory for us !!

Post Battle thoughts:

The battle started promising, soon I realized that my plan was flawed. I didn't deploy observation outpost at my flanks so I have been surprised by the intelligent AI pincer movement. But the AI wasn't intelligent enough to exploit its success, so after failing the battle turned in a boring mass assault vs my prepared positions with big losses of the IA.