View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: End date 2030, 100 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDuke99 View Post
The reason I say that is that that would have SG WWII - MBT covering 100 years or, to put it another way, roughly the difference in time between the battle of Waterloo in 1815 and the Somme in 1916, or from the Somme to today.

Food for thought on many different levels...

Have things changed more or less? Has weapons and technology advanced more quickly or more slowly? What do you think?
My observations from different eras from the game:

The first period is probably 1930-1941. In this period, there are mostly infantry battles with armor of any kind being a very valuable asset (some AT guns are so crappy they have a hard time knocking out Panzer IIs). Some monsters are almost immune, for example KV-1 tanks.
The next one is from 1941-1945. In this period, AT guns are more effective and can reliably kill the most common tanks on the battlefield, however there are some tough opponents like the Kingtiger, the IS-2 etc. Infantry is better equipped to deal with enemy armor thanks to panzerfaust, bazooka etc.
Then we go to 1945-1959. Early Cold war period. The battle ranges increase, HEAT AT rounds become more effective but still, armor is relevant (although I do think that tanks of this period are are more vulnerable to KE projectiles than they actually were but anyway). The best AT weapons are frankly, other tanks.
Then it is 1960-1970. HEAT becomes widespread, ATGMs make their appearance in numbers. Tanks are extremely vulnerable and good tactics are a must. Towards the end of this period, the Soviets deploy the first tanks that are resistant to HEAT, but they arent exactly immune.
Then we have 1970-1991. Late COld war period. The latest tanks can resist HEAT very well and they are tough even for many KE projectiles. NATO has an edge there, thanks to more submunitions in artillery and thermal imaging, although SOviets have some goodies in the form of ERA and active protection vs guided projectiles. Grunts have it tough with LAWs/RPGs vs. modern tanks.
Lastly, 1991-end. This era is actually a continuation of the last one, with more guided projectiles. Tanks are a mixed bag since they are vulnerable to many things, but also quite resistant to others and the newest vehicles have insane turret armor. This period is mostly characterised by "hide, make a quick attack and hide again".

That is my 2 cents on how warfare has changed in the eyes of WinSPMBT. Any other observations are most welcome.