.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

It is a lot like that. But, it took me a long while to get into MP games, and it makes a huge difference over SP games in fun.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgor View Post
Reading that I couldn't help get associations of letting someone kick me in the stomach repeatedly, so I can learn the benefits of his technique :P Nonetheless, I'm sure it'll be fun
As most people will attest, they had a lot of fun with the game for a long time.
And then got into MP and had more fun for a longer time.

To avoid the "kick in the stomach repeatedly" syndrome you might watch the MP forum for chances to substitute. Particularly to sub for angry players dropping out. The other players will welcome you. You dont have to do good. And you will get a chance to see how more experienced players do things.

Of course you will probably see them as you are getting your asskicked. But there is no pressure. You have the excuse that you took over a losing position. And you arent playing a nation you chose nor with a pretender-god that you built. The only hope anyone has for you is that you will be slightly more fun than turning it over to AI play. You get to go down swinging in grand and glorious epic battles with no regrets.

And remember to view the battles carefully, and ask questions.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Private

Grimgor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowarrior View Post
It is a lot like that. But, it took me a long while to get into MP games, and it makes a huge difference over SP games in fun.
I can absolutely imagine that. And human intelligence is exactly what I'm missing from the SP games I had a strange experience recently in a game where, even though I could tell I wasn't playing very well, I could see the AI play so much worse. Was actually the motivation for me to join up here

Good idea, Gandalf That seems like a good way to get a taste of MP.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:40 AM

Private

datom is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Finally took the plunge on Dominions 3 after weighing it up for ... ooh, about 5 years.

Taking my first faltering steps in SP with EA T'ien Chi right now but what's a good way to 'learn' to the point that I can play MP? I've heard a lot of varying comments - play MA Man and use general strategies, pick one nation and play specific strategies, play the AI, don't play the AI as it builds bad habits etc.? Presuming SP is useful, should I wait until I can beat the AI, beat several AIs, beat AI consistently etc.? How long is the normal incubation period? I enjoyed the tutorial but got a lot from reading a few something awful LPs.

I like the idea of 'subbing in' as an intro down the line a bit but I'm scared the sheer number of decisions would be a little overwhelming!

Excited to be here!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:25 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Yeah, subbing in isn't my favourite. To much at once.

You could try one of the newbie games at dom3mods. http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx or participate in a blitz on irc and get slaughtered. (blitzes are game that are played very quickly. With everybody on the same chat channel usually).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:49 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

IMO, if you're playing to be able to play multiplayer, what you need to do isn't really to learn how to beat the AI. You need to learn how to expand, and you need to learn basic scripting, site searching, and maybe figure out a few good early game go to spells. Then you should be fine for noob games and can start learning more in depth.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old July 5th, 2012, 04:06 AM

Private

datom is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys. Both sound bits of advice. The early game especially I think it's worth me practising as my expansion gets gummed up, my spell choices go wrong - already seeing the mistakes. After a bit, when I'm comfortable there, I'll batter into a MP noob game and lose horrifically a few times.
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road

Hello Dominions Community! (wave)
Cunknown brought me back to Dom3 after about 5 years away. Dominions rocks!!!! It's even better then it used to be!

@Datom: We're playing Waarrrggg game together. Your expansion is Unmatched! Next you need to work on Diplomacy. Graphs are on, so everyone see's you are kicking butt! Don't start more then one war at a time! Good Luck!
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Corporal

starcryst is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. I'm new to Dom3, have been playing AI for about a month and am just getting into my first MP games now.

I'm an old dude (45) and a long time strategy game fan, with my favorite offline games including Star Fleet Battles and Mechwarrior (20 years ago) and Small World more recently and my favorite computer games including Civ 4/5 and EUIII.

Worked for years in the computer game industry as a Designer / Producer for Microprose back when it was one of the top companies in the industry. Worked on the original X-Com, Civ1 Windows, MOO, MOM & Magic the Gathering.

Nowadays have my own Tech Startup in the mobile space which is doing really well.

Been looking for a deep online strategy game experience for years and been dissatisfied with everything prior to coming across Dom3. Looking forward to getting to know you all and becoming and active member of the Dom3 community.

Also, I'm up for Blitz games on the weekend, so look me up if you are forming a game and need players.
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

starcryst: Wow, you worked on a lot of cool things!!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs